News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Loch Treig Hermit

Started by Wildfisher, November 09, 2021, 10:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweed

I found it a pretty sad watch.  Poor auld bugger.  Can't be easy getting old and decrepit living that kind of life and in those conditions.

Did have to wonder though, at the tax-payer funded helicopter evacuations every time he takes a tumble.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Tweed on November 10, 2021, 02:49:23 PM
Can't be easy getting old and decrepit living that kind of life and in those conditions.

The Sandwood hermit ended up in a caravan in Kinlochbervie, what a dreary place to end your life in.  He came across as a pathetic character. That's the thing, off grid life is fine when you are young and fit. Even now knocking on for 69 and being in reasonable shape for my age, I'm glad of my cosy 2 bedroom modern bungalow with shops, GP etc close by even if it is and always will be fossil fuel heated no matter what waffle comes out of  Crock26.  :lol: Once you get on a bit living near civilisation has a lot going for it. To be honest I'm happy I'm out of my old place up the hill with all that snow and bloody freezing weather. I didn't see the programme but my guess is that old guy's life as a hermit is about to change.

burnie

I hope he keeps well, but he didn't look like he had another 30 years left in him, did he?

Wildfisher

Quote from: burnie on November 10, 2021, 09:06:41 PM
I hope he keeps well, but he didn't look like he had another 30 years left in him, did he?
Up the hill where I used to live we got vast amounts of snow most winters. I remember thinking to myself how am I going to manage living here when I'm in my 70s. Shifting snow was hard work, even with a tractor. The answer of course was I would not manage. In the end I moved before I had to.

I have to admit I don't have masses of sympathy for those who complain about high shipping costs, lack of broadband, high fuel bills etc because they choose to live in Granny's Heilan' Hame. Living out in the styx has a lot going for it, but it also has downsides that will NEVER be resolved. Only you can make the choice.

But getting back to the hermit - his circumstance is just an extreme example of this, but it's one that will be more difficult to get out of. The decent thing to do would be offer him a council house somewhere, Spean Bridge, The Fort - wherever - and then he can make the choice of which way to turn.

Bobfly

When he had a stroke and was hospitalised the social asked about getting him somewhere but he was not interested. He is quite philosophical about his risks and accepts his vulnerability.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

loch coulter

is this not the same guy that i watched, last year i think, on one of Ben Fogles shows, he went to the pub with Ben!!

Suki1312

Quote from: Tweed on November 10, 2021, 02:49:23 PM
I found it a pretty sad watch.  Poor auld bugger.  Can't be easy getting old and decrepit living that kind of life and in those conditions.

Did have to wonder though, at the tax-payer funded helicopter evacuations every time he takes a tumble.
Despite getting on in age , He looked happy enough in his environment . After the stroke he could of got all the help he needed but refused . That's says enough about predicament. As for state funded helicopter evacuation lol he's only used it once . Hardly ripping a hole in state funds , Christ the helicopters are out every weekend to find English lost in the hills about this time of the year 😉
Every day is a school day

superscot

Eventually got round to watching this documentary if you want to call it that. What a hard life to live by all alone for most of the time and the chances of being sick/ill high. Did notice he had a fair collection of demijohns full of I take it home made wine to keep him company during the long dark winter nights. Was glad to see the local estate stalker helping with a monthly food drop off, makes you wonder why the Estate Owners who ever they are some absent overseas property owner! Allowed him to stay there for that period.

Made me ask myself could I have done that mmmmmm no isolation far too much for my liking and would stick with my home comforts like a simple light switch you can turn on; I suppose a couple of weeks of it would be exciting enough for me but good luck to the guy 

Wildfisher

Quote from: superscot on December 29, 2021, 05:16:54 PM
makes you wonder why the Estate Owners who ever they are

Tetra Pak. There is obviously big money  non environmentally sustainable packaging  :lol:

Go To Front Page