News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

New Rod

Started by Wildfisher, January 19, 2022, 08:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I'm having a custom rod built  for me by Sandy Nelson.

3 pc  8 foot #4 wt white S-glass blank made by Livingston rods in Montana, rolled on the banks of the Yellowstone River.  :8)

Sandy sent me the prototype, it is awesome.  Should get the rod in the next week or so.

Let's face it I really needed another fly rod.  :lol:

Sean Freeman

Sandy is a top man, has built a fair few rods for me including a bamboo on a chapman blank.
Quite fancy a Livingston rod, maybe the 7'6" #4 eventually but he's already doing me a streamer rod for my wee ditch, a Steffen 7' #5/6.

His latest pic has my orange packlight amongst the McFarlands and Livingstons too, has seen a fair few big fish that rod but I punish it so it needed two new eyes.

What colour and spec have you gone for on yours Fred?

Bobfly

Top class builder Fred. Sure to be a fine rod  :) :)
Did you not get another rod last year ?
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Quote from: Sean Freeman on January 19, 2022, 10:06:22 PM
What colour and spec have you gone for on yours Fred?

3pc 8 foot white s-glass #4 wt it is lovely.  Fine silk whippings  :)   Sandy is a top class builder for sure.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Bobfly on January 19, 2022, 10:52:41 PM
Did you not get another rod last year ?

I bought 2 rods last year Vaughan. A 9 foot Maxcatch firestick and a  7 1/2 foot Vision Trout Glass. Was not really happy with either of them.

arawa

Quote from: admin on January 20, 2022, 07:03:54 AM
I bought 2 rods last year Vaughan. A 9 foot Maxcatch firestick and a  7 1/2 foot Vision Trout Glass. Was not really happy with either of them.

Not happy with a Maxcatch rod Fred!! You will never be able to post on a certain other FF forum again!

My experience of a seriously expensive rod is that it is sublime at doing what it was designed for but unsatisfactory outside these parameters. I have cheaper (but excellent) rods that cannot match the expensive rod when it is used in its zone but are much better all-rounders - and hence I use them more.

Wildfisher

Quote from: arawa on January 20, 2022, 11:17:38 AM
Not happy with a Maxcatch rod Fred!! You will never be able to post on a certain other FF forum again!

The Maxcatch I bought was top of the range. 9 foot #5 Orvis Helios clone. Not a great fishing rod, far too stiff and tippy. It would be a good casting rod though. As far as the other FF goes I'll leave that to Grima Wormtongue and the other losers.  :lol:

Bobfly

Nearing the tail end of the season I picked up a top dollar Maxcatch normally priced at £75-80 or so but the chap was selling it for £25. A 9 foot 6wt and pleasant medium action. Perfect for Mrs Bobfly from the boat and replacing the one she slipped onto up at Forsinard. It was a bargain and just the job.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

superscot

QuoteLet's face it I really needed another fly rod.

Fred just sitting here with a smile !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hill loch gold

You could spend your money on worse things fred :lol:
I'm sure you'll enjoy using it when the season starts.

Go To Front Page