News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Electric Car Disaster

Started by Wildfisher, December 17, 2021, 01:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobfly

The focus has been on lithium but vast quantities of cadmium and copper will also be required. All very well having save the world targets but we will cause a few problems getting there!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Already some serous and questionable practices, native peoples being displaced, land trashed and polluted, child labour etc. It never fails to amaze me how the woke can just block these uncomfortable truths out in their pursuit of self congratulation and feeling good about themselves.

Wildfisher

On the radio this morning - some UK councils  are charging electric car owners £240 to fully charge their vehicles.  Is this the shape of things to come?

It costs me about £50 to fill my car, takes under 5 minutes  and I can drive 450 miles on that.

How are governments going to offset the loss of fuel duty if electric car ownership becomes widespread?

arawa

Quote from: admin on January 27, 2022, 11:11:24 AM

How are governments going to offset the loss of fuel duty if electric car ownership becomes widespread?

There has been a lot of talk about a "pay per mile" levy on car use informed by a gps tracker in each vehicle. Perhaps with a free allowance that varies depending on where you live, and then a mileage charge above this. The mileage charge would/could vary depending on the type of road used and the time of day.
Big Brother will certainly be watching!

Wildfisher

To be honest I'm kinda glad that by the time all this garbage is in place I'll be way beyond driving. Unless our politicians get off this insane woke waggon the future does not look good for ordinary people. Perhaps Vladimir The Impaler  is about to do us a huge favour and shake the west out of this PC coma.

Bobfly

Quote from a letter I kept, from The Times of 13 Feb 2020.

"If all the cars on British roads at present were to have electric batteries we would need two year's worth of the world's total cobalt supply, plus all of the annual supply of neodymium, three quarters of the world's annual lithium production plus half of the world's annual production of copper."

Puts things in perspective !!  The world will be clamouring for this stuff.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Yes Vaughan the electric car thing is a complete fantasy. Not only does the world not have the raw materials we also don't have the electricity generation and distribution capacity. The scrapping of this and other fanciful  "green" nonsense is a matter of when, not if. The sooner this is done the better the chance of preventing civil unrest on a massive scale. I heard a revised estimate for the UK's shale gas today - between 50 and 100 years of self sufficiency in known reserves. It is inevitable this will be exploited, again when not if.  Let's get on with it! Heating gas in the US is 10% the cost it is in Europe. Why? Because President Bush started fracking. Perhaps he was not really that thick after all. Meanwhile 150,000 Russians are poised to invade and push the price up even further.

zeolite

UK sourced shale gas? AFAIK there is no shale gas production and the drilling programme suffered horribly from public interference and poor results. I am probably out of date of course but shale drilling is something i have done a bit of in the USA.
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Wildfisher

Quote from: zeolite on February 04, 2022, 03:26:58 PM
I am probably out of date of course but shale drilling is something i have done a bit of in the USA.

You are not out of date and your input and experience is valuable.

The  Scottish Government "banned" it in Scotland although it's not clear if that is within their competence to do so and gutless Westminster buckled to the loud "green" lobby and imposed a moratorium. Now Russia has Europe by the balls.  This is woke insanity on a galactic scale and it will be interesting to see how many of the PC eco warriors change their minds as they freeze in their homes after their gas is cut off because they can't afford to pay their bills.

Go To Front Page