News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Bike-Packing The Latest Fad

Started by Wildfisher, September 03, 2023, 01:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

This appears to be the latest outdoor activity to have become popularised. So much of a fad it was even featured on BBC Radio Scotland last week.

As you have no doubt gathered it's a cross between cycling and backpacking and has  rapidly become "the thing to do".

It makes use of the many private estate roads and tracks and no doubt plays a role it churning up the old stalkers paths and hillsides, causing  the erosion of many more pairs of feet.

I do wonder how much more of this estates will put up with before locked gates that are too high to lift a bike over are everywhere? Balmoral has had gates like this at the Invercauld end for many years. Pedestrians have access via small side gates that are impossible for animals and bikes. This works well and in the 40 years I have hiked there I've never seen a bike!

Walk FFS!  ::)

Bobfly

Nowt new here. Been on the go for many years but now there are lots of gravel bike tour books with downloadable route mapping.
One of my sons is a very frequent rider at weekends with some pretty fancy lightweight camping gear packs. Also a good few folk in my climbing club who make multi-day tours or circuits from a camping or cottage base or campervan. 45 to 60 kms a day no bother and one guy runs an electric Fatsix that when loaded comes to over 50kgs!
Here is a piccie of his bike BEFORE it gets loaded up with the rear and side panniers. Same model as I used to have before I gave it to another one of my sons. The serious cycling one didn't want it as he is a proper fit cyclist !

~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

That's some set of wheels on that bike!  :D

Bobfly

The tyres are 10cms diameter and make up to a wheel of 76cms, I think, hence Fatsix. Only run at 10lbs pressure so good cushioning.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page