News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Leader / Tippet Rings

Started by Wildfisher, May 06, 2007, 09:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Have  to do something here - I am wasting far too many tapered leaders with all the cutting and tying.  Which size / make are best?   I notice Sportfish (a company  I like to deal with because of great service) sell 1 and 2mm rings.

haresear

Riverge are the best I've tried Fred. Some of the others have a sharp edge which can flatten your leader at the knot. I use a uni knot to attach these, as the knot tightens round the main line as opposed to the half blood.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on May 06, 2007, 10:55:35 AM
Riverge are the best I've tried Fred. Some of the others have a sharp edge which can flatten your leader at the knot. I use a uni knot to attach these, as the knot tightens round the main line as opposed to the half blood.

Alex

what size are the ones you use Alex?

haresear

1.5mm for me too. I think Roman Moser does 1mm, but the 1.5 work fine.

Alex
Protect the edge.

hibsman

I have a pack and they are great, one tapered leader and one ring for whole of last season :) ... not sure what size although they are tiny.

The setup I use is one ring on the tapered leader to which I attach my normal cast.  Last year I attached ring to tapered leader at about 5 feet down ... a small problem was that the tapered leader I had bought was quite thick 5 feet down and my normal cast material was quite thin and so it didn't feel quite right.   I will correct this year by attaching the ring where the diameter of tapered leader is similar to diameter of my normal cast material.

Chris

Go To Front Page