News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Electric outboards

Started by silverbutcher, August 10, 2007, 11:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverbutcher

Just a note of caution about electric outboards. Last Saturday I lost my prop off the outboard while out on the loch.
Apparently this is the fifth one lost on the loch this year, and all were three blade props, although I think they have been on different makes of outboard ( mine is a Shakespeare ). So keep checking the nut that holds the prop on before going out. I hadn't checked it for a few weeks. :oops:
Cost of a new prop - ?25 :shock:
Just to round off the day, the petrol outboard packed in and I had to be towed back to the mooring.

Billy

Secretary Kilbryde AC

Billy

My Shakespeare electric lost reverse gears on Monday after old Davy wrapped his line round the prop twice, it has been on the blink for some time. I am getting forward gears if I am lucky. The outboard is two years old and has been used at least 70 times but is not of the same quality of my old Motorguide I had it for ten years and not one problem!

As for the outboard ?50 three years ago for an old Suzuki owes me nothing!

See you at the Daer tomorrow
Ian

Wildfisher

DD - buy a deep cycle battery not a car battery. It'll last longer. Ordinary car batteries are designed for short discharge / charge cycles so big drains and long charges screw them up

mike mac

DD You can buy a leisure battery from your local Halfords thats where I got mine from. 

Andrew Moray

Hello DD,

A mate has just ordered the 55lb from Bass Pro for a ridiculous sum, will post the results when its completed.

Quote from: Dapper Daddy on August 12, 2007, 08:08:40 PMI'll have to give some thought to chargers though.
This one was recommended to me, postage is free from the site, but dearer from his shop on ebay:
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=109236&MAN=Sealey-Battery-Charger-Electronic-12amp-12v-240v

HTH,
Tony

p.s. thanks Col.

greenwell

Okay, okay, seein' as how youse are talkin' aboot wis, here's the gen. I got my battery at Knowepark Caravans, 85amp.hr. for ?43.00. They do a 110 but it's around ?70 I think. I got the 85 'cos I couldnae humph the 110 doon aff the shelf, so there was nae chance o' getting it anywhere near the boat. :?
                            My car charger was only good up to 70 amp.hr. so I got a charger in Argos for ?25, it's orange and called RAC, and will charge batteries way beyond the amp ratings of anything you're likely to use. Hope that's of use and you see this before going to Halfords, their batteries are way more expensive.

Greenwell

greenwell

Oh, and Halford's prices for chargers are feckin' outrageous an' aw.

Greenwell

silverbutcher

DD
My spare prop came from newmills tackle near Lanark. I found them to be the cheapest at ?25 and its free postage. Delivered next day.

All the best

Billy

Pearly Invicta

Boys at the fishing club use batteries designed for electric wheelchairs. Lighter and more efficient is the theory.

mike mac

I know the batteries are heavy Allan but you dinnae need a golf trolley for them. This office job must be turning you intae a bit o a weaklin  :lol: :lol:

Go To Front Page