News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fishing in the Borders

Started by east wind, January 27, 2008, 02:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

east wind

After my big adventure to Loch na Oidhche and The Gorm Lochs (inspired by the comments in Bruce Sandisons book) Lochs fell through due to a lack of roof at Poca Buidhe bothy a few years ago, I've basically been a lazy sod.

Anyway stumbled onto this place and decided to book it for a July week.

www.aboutscotland.com/south/roughley.html

Peace and quiet and the loch to myself. From the picture there must be tons of fly life and i fancy the fish should be fit enough.

Just hope the water disnae algae up and the border midges are tamer than their Highland cousins.

So its me, my fishing gear, my guitar and plenty of assorted beverages. Some walking during the day and fish into the evening rise.

Hope this year to got my arse away from the Clyde (though i love it) more often.

Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

charrcatcher

How did you fare on your wee holiday? It's not exactly cheap at ?465 high and ?520 peak season rates for self catering!

east wind

Quote from: charrcatcher on March 31, 2009, 08:00:21 PM
How did you fare on your wee holiday? It's not exactly cheap at ?465 high and ?520 peak season rates for self catering!

Charrcatcher, to be honest the guy is taking the piss with those prices. The place was not far above a bothy. It has its charm, gas lighting, gas fridge, big coal fire in living room and warm coal burner in bedroom providing luke warm central heating and shower facility. He rents it all year and it would be hard work to keep warm off season.

With no electricity 'phone or mobile reception it did feel isolated up in the hills, and enjoyed the walks and peace. Quickly realised the fishing was fake but the stocked brownies were in good nick and well fed.

After a few sherberts at night it was quite easy to get spooked being a townie up there by myself an all that.

Won't be back.

EW

superscot

and looked the business on the web site as well

charrcatcher

Quote from: east wind on March 31, 2009, 11:59:11 PM
Charrcatcher, to be honest the guy is taking the piss with those prices. The place was not far above a bothy. It has its charm, gas lighting, gas fridge, big coal fire in living room and warm coal burner in bedroom providing luke warm central heating and shower facility. He rents it all year and it would be hard work to keep warm off season.

With no electricity 'phone or mobile reception it did feel isolated up in the hills, and enjoyed the walks and peace. Quickly realised the fishing was fake but the stocked brownies were in good nick and well fed.

After a few sherberts at night it was quite easy to get spooked being a townie up there by myself an all that.

Won't be back.

EW
I'd kinda hoped you'd had a good time there; but hadn't realised it was a solo trip - a bit lonely I'm sure.

I've taken houses in the past due to family needs at the time but now I'm pretty much a free agent with these things. You'd be at the mercy of the weather with not a lot to do if it rained for a week.

Last year I was hugely disappointed to hear the Yellow Bothy up at Gorm Lochs was unavailable - the owner said they'd taken it off the market for rentals but sort of forgot to say they'd lost the roof. (There was an inference that there'd been some damage, but that was it.)

I'm kinda fond of having a roof, myself - just one of my wee foibles.

Narmind, there's always bivvies and tents...

east wind

Quote from: charrcatcher on April 01, 2009, 10:31:29 AM
I'd kinda hoped you'd had a good time there; but hadn't realised it was a solo trip - a bit lonely I'm sure.

For me it was a bit of a social experiment. Sheep started to look quite cuddly and were prone to inviting themselves in  :lol: :lol:

Family did joined me for last day/night/journey home. A bit different playing a trout and shouting at the missus through the window if she's ready for breakfast.

EW

Go To Front Page