News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Anybody notice anything

Started by The General, April 04, 2008, 09:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

When I were a lad...I used to read Sawyer, Ritz etc. These guys were the cutting edge of fly fishing writers (it was a while ago).

Frank Sawyer (Nymphs And The Trout) was adamant that the 477 shade was the shade. Personally, I think this is complete bullshit, but it caught him a lot of fish. I just don't believe in magic shades (Raybans look pretty cool though).

The mystique took over and when it was found that 477 couldn't be had, the price escalated to the levels we now see...

"I don?t think that Waderson wool is the same. In fact I?m sure of it. Not too long ago saw some Chadwicks 477 go at an auction (small card) for a few hunder dollars. I?ve been trying to locate that info for you but so far no luck."

I tied a great fly out of an old pair of underpants once. I'll sell you them... a unique shade of grey and brown :shock:

Alex

Protect the edge.

scotfly

Course you could send it to me and I could use it to do a step by step of the Killer Bug!  :lol: :lol:

.D.

Quote from: haresear on April 05, 2008, 02:19:08 AM
.....................I tied a great fly out of an old pair of underpants once. I'll sell you them... a unique shade of grey and brown :shock:

Alex

I stain mine with "picric"  :roll:. For those subtle yellow shades that no other dye can match.

.D.

Highlander

Urine stained Polar Bear fur is a must for dubbing.
Fecking difficult to get though, damm bears won't stand still long enough.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

The General

It is actually no ma wool.   It was in a drawer of "old stuff I don't use" in my friend Johns house.  He is convinced that he has
some more somewhere!!!  He is an excellent fly tyer, he developed the Loch Maddy and the Ness C salmon fly and I have kinda
hinted that he should make and sell the nymphs with a fancy wee guarantee card that it is tied with 477.

No so sure about the jumper Fred or the pants Alex, but thanks all the same.  If I had enuff yards I'd gee you all one  :P

Davie

Scotaidh

I was having a rake through some crap I got from ebay and found some Chadwick's, my heart had a wee flutter when I saw the browny-pink but it is only no. 454.  Got two cards of black too.  Amazing I didn't even know what Chadwick's was and I had some of it.

Go To Front Page