News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

You get what you pay for ........

Started by tomcatin, June 18, 2008, 11:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcatin

I am a big fan of the Greys G-Series waders (frankly because the XXLK is ideal for a gentleman of my dimensions ....... but they have proved hard wearing and generally waterproof). Late last summer, I spied on offer for a pair of G-Series waders (RRP ?99.99) and Klobba Arrowhead Wading boots for ?119.99 and thought bargain!

I ordered immediately and the gear was delivered in days (cannot remember from whom though)

The original G-Series waders march on in very good nick considering the amount of fishing (climbing/scrambling/falling/fence hopping etc) they have endured.

The Klobba boots were brought into action a couple of weeks ago, when my old (two years) wading boots finally died just in time not to be declared a bio-hazard.

They had as near as dammit 25 hours fishing mostly in the Devon, before I took this picture last night before depositing in the wheelie bin:

[attachimg=1]

Both heals parted company and both sets of felt in the process of peeling off!

Rubbish boots, not even worth the ?19.99 I paid  ......... avoid like the plague
Sadly my 7' 5 weight that killed fascists is deceased!

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

tomcatin

Quote from: broontroot on June 18, 2008, 11:59:43 PMBut anyway 19.99 for a season its no that expensive ??

No, not a season ....... they have been on my feet 7 times!

The old wading boots, Greys GRXi (???) lasted two full seasons (used 100+ times) and could have been bought in a similar package from the like of John Norris (ie Greys G-Series Wader and GRXi wading boots) for ?129.99.

More fool me for saving ?10.00

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

tomcatin

Quote from: DOD DUNBAR on June 19, 2008, 12:50:03 AM
Tomcatin ,i would not have put them in the bin i would have repaired them ,something would have stuck them ,i know thats not the arguement and yes you would expect them to last longer than 7 trips

Perhaps ....... the photo really doesnt show how poorly constructed they are. The sole unit appears to have been attached, in the rear half of the boot, purely by the thin brown plastic rubbery rand seal. To get a decent seal I would have to fill the plastic voids in the sole construction (? silicone sealant)  and then rely on superglue etc.

From what I have seen they are simply badly designed and very poorly manufactured (and heavy and have too big a heel)

Lesson learnt  :roll:

tomcatin

Quote from: uncleboo on June 18, 2008, 11:33:51 PM
That's ridiculus TC. Try an oversized pair of cheap hiking boots, I'm sure they'd outlast most pairs of wading boots.

I know where you are coming from here ......... for quite a while I relied on a pair of oversized pit boots (scrounged working decades ago on a wet horrible wee coalface from the NCB).

Trouble is all my favourite waters have either bedrock or boulder floors ....... once you have tried felt soles there  and forget about the spontaneous slips and resulting dunkings in vibram type soles, there is no alternative to felt soles!

superscot

Quoteonce you have tried felt soles there  and forget about the spontaneous slips and resulting dunkings

Tomcatin never ever tried the felt soles ....how easy to replace

cheers 

sandyborthwick

I got a pair of oversize Earth Works boots for ?10.00. They have realy soft sponge like rubber soles - really light ideal for wading and really comfortable - worth a try as I have been very pleased with them :).

Best Idea if the year though has to be Breac and Steve's one from the orkney stravaig. As most will know Swannay is a skate rink if you're wading - Derek and Steve had the unusual idea of putting big wooly type socks over their boots :roll:. They taped them up around the ankle area of the boot so a to stop them slipping off or down. Worked a treat for grip and was better than any felt sole :shock:. I think from their experience a good mix of nylon and wool sock lasted well - pure wool had a tendency to wear out.

If there was a prize for the mother of invention 2008 this one was a real winner :D - and how many of us have loads of old boot socks.

Sandy B.O.

Pearly Invicta

It's a great idea right enough Sandy- but there was no reason to wear yer Y-fronts on the outside of yer waders. That was just taking things too far.

Wildfisher

The construction of these boots looks very similar to the Snowbee boots myself and Martin had. Both  pairs have been binned. I now have Grey's felt soled boots for the rivers and oversized strong walking boots for places like Assynt where rugged terrain and longer distances are normal

sandyborthwick

It was the big "F" on the Y fronts that scared a few troots oot the water :makefun. The wife is not so impressed as the the other old troot were :shock: so I had to put them on the right way when I got home again.

Sandy B.O. 

Clan Ford

Quote from: superscot on June 19, 2008, 01:15:43 AM
Tomcatin never ever tried the felt soles ....how easy to replace

I've never had to replace any felt soles on my boots - the boots have always fallen apart first :(  However I would never be without felt soles, I've yet to try anything that grips the riverbed better, that includes wooly socks :shock:

Norm

Go To Front Page