News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweed

Quote from: Robbie on November 01, 2021, 09:40:16 PM
Probably my go to dry on most waters:

[attachimg=1]

How do you keep them afloat?  Mine always sink!?!

scoobyscott

Keep the dubbing sparse on the body, rough out the thorax and have a dense wing. Treat with gink at tying table and before fishing. Will float for a few fish at least then re-treat

Bobfly

At time of tying I often use Watershed or Supafloat ( very old bottle !! ) to let that soak and dry on the bits to be above water.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Robbie

I usually rub a bit of mucilin into the wing. Every so often, or after a few fish, rinse the fly well, dry and apply more mucilin to the wing. Never had a problem with them sinking.

Tweed

thanks Gents - will give them another go.  They always look so good in the corner of the box, but inevitably the trusty klinks or emergers get picked as I know they'll stay up.  Will defo make a concerted effort with them now.

Ta.

Wildfisher

Like Andy I have never had huge success with the DHE style flies. Serious floating / sighting issues - more than often it floats on its side.

I'm obviously not tying it properly. I asked Bo Wyatt and he told me getting  the thorax right is essential.

scoobyscott

Quote from: admin on November 03, 2021, 10:35:05 AM
Like Andy I have never had huge success with the DHE style flies. Serious floating / sighting issues - more than often it floats on its side.

I'm obviously not tying it properly. I asked Bo Wyatt and he told me getting  the thorax right is essential.
Wing too long Fred, causing it to topple?

Wildfisher

Quote from: scoobyscott on November 04, 2021, 12:15:52 PM
Wing too long Fred, causing it to topple?

Quite possibly that and a poorly tied thorax

Clan Chief

Another Hen Blackie for my box!

scoobyscott

Go To Front Page