News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Camping stoves

Started by Simon Everett, January 17, 2017, 02:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie Goodhart

I have all sorts of stoves. Mountaineering being one of my major things. Not a kelly Kettle type thing though

I find that the primus style paraffin stoves are actually a pain noweverdays because paraffin is less available, and more expensive. They are also heavy, difficult to light (comparatively). There main advantages is being able to burn anything.

The little pocket rocket stoves or any simple gas stoves are fine, but then you need to carry pans and stuff. It all becomes bulky.

For a simple bru a jetboil type thingy is light, small, quick, gas is cheap per bru, easy, always lights, works in any weather,  cold really isn't an issue in these climbs (or really anywhere, I use a large one to melt snow at altitude on remote mountaineering expeditions).

The disadvantage is they are not the cheapest. But I think

You can get a jetboil themselves, MSR, primus or Appkit versons of the same thing. for like 50 odd quid

I also love the coffee press attachment :-)

Attached a pic of mine in use this week up a munro :-)

P.S. Top tip, always take fire. The auto lighting mechanisms only work in ideal conditions.

Lochan_load

I'm leaning towards getting a trangia, watching a couple second hand on eBay. Was in b&m bargains today for white spirit today and see they do meths for £2.49

sagecirca

I have been using the MSR pocket rocket for the last few seasons.  Small, cheap and pretty reliable. 

lnelson20

Also a fan of the pocket rocket,really couldnt be arsed messing about with paraffin and the likes.
c.nelson

johnsd

Back to the Trangia or more importantly the meths... does anyone know where you can get clear meths? This is the stuff without the purple dye and horrid taste added. I used to be able to "obtain" it when I was in the helicopter business but for some reason it is not for general sale  :roll:

Is this for drinking or are you just not a prince fan 😀
yer going where

rannoch raider

I've never tried standard meths . I was running mine on a clear Bio Ethanol fuel that was available from Cotswold and Go Outdoors. Very clean, no smell and no soot left on pots or kettle. Probably a wee bit more expensive than meths but if that's the price of soot free pots then so be it.

Simon Everett

Go and see your friendly panel beater and sprayer. Ask if they will order you in a 5 litre can of FAST DRYING panel wipe (it is pure naptha, or Coleman white gas if it comes in a Coleman sticker bottle!) 5 litres cost me £12.50, so cheaper tahn white gas by a long way, last time I looked Go Outdoors were selling white gas for £8.50 for 500ml, or £17 / litre.  :piper

If you get the ordinary coloured meths and add 10% by volume of water out of the tap, it will still burn happily but it won't soot. Alternatively, has anyone tried Isopropyl alcohol from an industrial supplier? I think it has replaced acetone as a degreaser, not as hot as panel wipe (naptha) but would suit meths burners.

arawa

Quote from: Roobarb on January 24, 2017, 10:45:59 AM

The Kelly Kettle is obviously too bulky to take anywhere but for a loch/roadside boil up there is nothing better as long as you have dry twigs - dry grass/leaves/moss won't do it. I did manage to get a boil going last season while on island where the only fuel available was damp reed stems, it took foever!
Andy
I have a tiny Kelly Kettle clone about the size of a tin of beans. Slower than a full size version but still works well and there is never a shortage of heather stems where I fish. Much prefer it to a flask.
Not tried it in anger yet, but I have an adapter/stand that fits on top of the Kelly Kettle so a saucepan can be used. Not sure how steady it would be on the hill rather than the garage floor......

rannoch raider

I've tried cooking over a large Kelly Kettle. Its hard to control the heat so lots of charred sausages! The other issue is the amount of soot it leaves is ridiculous and its not easy to remove. Great tool for boiling water if you enjoy the sight and smell of real fire but it takes up a fair bit of space if you are carrying it and it's a pretty poor cooker.

arawa

Quote from: rannoch raider on January 25, 2017, 06:00:43 PM
I've tried cooking over a large Kelly Kettle. Its hard to control the heat so lots of charred sausages! The other issue is the amount of soot it leaves is ridiculous and its not easy to remove. Great tool for boiling water if you enjoy the sight and smell of real fire but it takes up a fair bit of space if you are carrying it and it's a pretty poor cooker.
I noticed the masses of soot even with dry wood on a trial run.
I just lose all common sense and judgement when I see something new in a tackle or outdoor shop. I have plenty of unused kit to prove this statement!

Go To Front Page