News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Trout livers to liven up baked trout

Started by Pearly Invicta, August 31, 2010, 04:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pearly Invicta

I was reading 'The Wild Gourmets' book by Thomasina Miers and she lists a recipe for 'Baked Pike' where she makes a sauce from the pike liver which 'gives it a really gutsy, piquant flavour'.
Makes me wonder if a sauce made from trout liver might do the trick and liven up a baked trout. Anyone used trout liver in a recipe?

Guddler

I've never tried that with trout liver but reckon it would certainly do the trick. (Although, come to think of it, I can't really remember seeing sizeable livers in troots, not like in seafish anyway.)

Fish liver has always been used up here to enrich dishes and some of the old folks are happier to see you coming with livers than the fish themselves  :lol:

Guddler

A couple of recipes copied from the Shetlopedia website for your delectation

Krappin Heids
Ingredients
1 lb Fish Livers
? lb Flour
? lb Fine Oatmeal
Salt and Pepper

Method
Put all in basin and with the hand thoroughly mix together, breaking down the livers until the mixture forms into a ball and holds together.
Thoroughly wash a fish head, remove blood and gills then stuff with mixture.
Cook in boiling salted water for 20-30 minutes.
To Serve.
Serve with boiled potatoes

Stapp
Ingredients
3 large Piltocks (Coalfish)
2 - 3lb of Piltock Livers
Seasoning to taste

Method
Place livers in a covered, but not sealed, container, in a steamer for about 4 hours, until most of the oil has come out of the livers. Drain the livers, reserving some of the oil.
Just before the livers are ready, boil the fish, then remove all skin and bones and keep fish warm.
Roughly mash livers and fish together in equal proportions, adding salt and pepper to taste. If the mixture is too dry, add some of the oil from the livers.
To Serve
Serve with boiled potatoes and butter.
Note
Any leftover Stap is excellent in sandwiches.

Mmmmmmmmmm  :) :D :lol:

Go To Front Page