News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Or catch your game

Started by Harpo, October 20, 2008, 11:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo

Hello fellow gastronauts as Keith Floyd would say, I thought since there had been no posts in this section since July I would start one.

Here are some photos of a game terrine I made at the weekend  :gay4 i'm well chuffed as it was really tasty.

It had (past tense  :D) Partridge, Rabbit & Pheasant in it, I'd love to say shot by myself but there's no much game flying about in Gorgie, so it's from the butchers in Stockbridge.

I'll post the recipe if anyone wants it, dead easy to make, can't type it just now as the baby's asleep next to me and loud typing wakes her up  :shock:

Pearly Invicta

Looks absolutely lovely. Always fancied making a game terrine.

Gola

Looks fantastic, cant wait for the recipe.

sandyborthwick

Very Interested Harpo(keith Floyd),

Always wanted to have a go at this.

Sandy B.O.

Harpo

Here you go guys, I'd love to say I made this from the top of my head and i'm an artisan pate maker but alas no, it's from the River Cottage Cookbook.....it's easier to make than it looks if you have the time and are prepared 1st, great way to while away a wet afternoon  :-

Get the best sausage meat you can this is not the time to crack open a pack of Hall's Willie Winkies :shock:

Also check out tonights dinner, photos attached (That's a full sized chefs knife by the way for a size comparison), and no i've not got more money than sense, just a client who is a shellfish merchant :D....in the words of Gordon Ramsay...Lobster & Ginger stir fry....DONE !

GAME TERRINE

Selection of lean game meat, about 1kg/2?lb in all Rabbit, Partridge, Pheasant etc

For the Forcemeat
500g/1lb2oz sausage meat
Livers from all the game, finely chopped or 3 Chicken Livers
2 handfuls fresh white breadcrumbs
1 egg
3 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
Few sprigs of thyme, leaves removed and chopped
5-6 juniper berries, crushed in pestle and mortar
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Splash of brandy
Splash of red wine
Salt and pepper

To line the dish:

300g/10?oz streaky bacon, flattened with the back of a knife

1. In a large mixing bowl combine the sausage meat and the chopped livers from the game.
2. Next add the breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, thyme, juniper berries and garlic. Then the wine and brandy, season with the salt and pepper and mix everything together thoroughly, preferably with your hands.
3.Cut the game meat into roughly same-size strips, about 2 fingers thick.
4.In a heavy-based frying pan heat the fat or oil and fry the game pieces for 2 minutes until nicely browned.
5. Line a loaf tin or ceramic terrine dish with the stretched rashers of streaky bacon. Add a layer of forcemeat followed by a layer of game meat, then a layer of forcemeat followed by another layer of game meat (if you like, you can put the same kind of meat in each layer, i.e. a layer of rabbit, and then a layer of pheasant). However many layers you make  be sure to finish with a layer of the forcemeat.
6. Fold the exposed strips of bacon over the top of the terrine and cover well with kitchen foil. If your terrine dish has a lid on it so much the better.
7. Place the terrine dish in a roasting tin half-filled with hot water. Cook in the oven at 160?C/325?F/Gas 3 for approximately 1?-2 hours. Test with a skewer to see if it is cooked, if the skewer does not come out of the terrine piping hot then it is not ready.
8.For the best possible texture and easy slicing, your terrine should be pressed as it cools. Find a piece of wood or plastic that fits snugly inside the terrine dish and weigh it down with a brick or two (another similar size dish or loaf tin with a brick inside often does the trick, but wrap it in cling film if you're using a tin). Leave the terrine until completely cold for several hours or overnight.

sandyborthwick

Thanks Harpo I'll have a go at this, SWMBO will be well impressed I HOPE. If not I'll soon know :vom7; but at least there'll be some brownie points for trying.

Sandy B.O.

Go To Front Page