News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Roe deer skin

Started by Robbie, March 17, 2018, 10:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

Having dyed a few capes and a bit of deer hair, reasonably successfully, I find myself wanting to experiment. But buying patches of deer hair from flytying suppliers can Ben relatively expensive so had a look of EBay and found this Roe deer skin:

[attachimg=1]

All-in cost £41.60 delivered. Really please with it, very clean hice hair and minimal underfur.

Took a Stanley knife to the top third of the skin, some really nice variation.

Centre portion in nice and dark, probably good for sedgehogs and the like:
[attachimg=2]

Either side the lighter hair looks like it might be good for dyeing (more on this at end). Thinking muddles and colours sedghogs etc:
[attachimg=3]

There are a couple of patches of shorter hair from the top of the legs, looks like it might be good for smaller emergers and comparaduns.
[attachimg=4]

Not sure what use the fine belly hair could be put to, maybe winging wets or lures:
[attachimg=5]

I recently bought some synthetic picric and west of Ireland golden Olive dye from Irish Fly Supplies. Tried dying a couple of the lighter patches of hair earlier and pretty happy with the results:
[attachimg=6]

Bobfly

Massive savings with whole skin. There will be quite a difference in colour and density summer/wiinter. Those died pieces have come out very well.  :D
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

pedropete

that's a great idea Robbie, i need to get myself one of those..

bibio1

That's alot of sedgehogs. Looks good though and I'm sure come the end of the season you'll say "f&#k.....where did all that row deer skin go"

Well done.

Go To Front Page