News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The watten warrior and watten wanker!

Started by Lochan_load, April 22, 2018, 09:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

I've seen a watten warrior after extensive research (googled it!) alan highlander had mentioned it in a phone call this morning. The dressing as I understand it

Tail: red globrite floss no.4
Body: red seals fur?
Body hackle: red game/ brown cock
Hackle: white hen

Just wondering if I've got the red seals fur body correct?

And as an offshoot of this I came across a discussion between our very own clan chief and matt Eastham that mentioned another pattern the "watten wanker" and it's got me intrigued! So if Allan, matt or anyone else could shed light on it that would be great. Cheers

Highlander

Watten Warrior

Hook:12-10
Thread: Brown 8/0
Tail: Glo Brite No 4
Body: Fiery Brown Seal Fur
Rib: Oval gold
Body hackle : Fiery Brown cock
Head hackle : White Hen

Watten Wanker

Hook: Kamasan B170 sizes 8,10,12
Thread: Burnt orange UTC 140
Tail: Glo-Brite No.8
Rib: Medium Lagartun Oval gold
Body hackle: Furnace hen
Body: Seal's fur mix - orange,ginger,fiery brown
Collar: Red Golden pheasant body feather 
Head: Deer hair mix - Orange & 'Irish Golden Olive'  (Muddler)

" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Lochan_load

Cheers Alan, as soon as I started tying my pattern I realised it was just a white hackled soldier! Probably work just as well  :lol:
[attachimg=1]

Norscot

The original dressing for the Watten Warrior had no fur body, just two Fiery Brown hackles tightly wound in a similar manner to a Loch Ordie.

Lochan_load

It sounds like a good fly but what you describe is a red tailed ordie? All the patterns and versions I've seen have had the fur body so with a little nod to your heavily hackled version I think this is a watten warrior....two hackles and the fiery body!
[attachimg=1]

Lochan_load

And decided to develop it on a bit, took out the body hackle and tied it shaggy instead to let light through the fur. Here it is as a watten warrior [attachimg=1]

Robbie

Nice looking flies Andy.

I came across a reference to the Watten Warrior on the Shetland Anglers Flybox page: http://www.shetlandtrout.co.uk/shetland-fly-box.html. If you search for "Watten" on that page you should find it.

Effectively describes it as a red tailed Ordie with a gold rib.

Lochan_load

Cheers Robbie, I'll have a look at that. Added on a wee bit of bronze mallard to make a point fly. It's not true to the warrior so think I'll call this the watten walloper (rhymes with Caliper)
Probably got plenty similar but always interesting to find out about local patterns before you go.[attachimg=1]

Lochan_load

And of course a muddler!
[attachimg=2]

mattheweastham

Sorry only just seen this. The  wanker is my mate Rob's creation. I'll try and find a photo for you. It's a nice muddler pattern which has worked in loads of different places, although obviously Rob had Watten in mind when he tied it originally.
Matt

Go To Front Page