News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Malcolm Grey of Alnwick fly rod

Started by Nick.Knight, August 21, 2015, 09:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick.Knight

Good morning All,

A quick query really to see if anyone has got or used the Malcolm Grey of Alnwick fly rod?

I actually had a wee go with one of these rods when I went to the Scone Game Fair back in July. I was after a reasonable priced rod, something that would chuck a wee 5# line that I have on an old birthday present. Ideally I was looking for something I could stick in a rucksack and disappear into the hills with so I gave the 5# 8ft 4 piece a wee go.

At first I thought it was ok, but as I was casting, in the middle of loading the rod on the back cast, the rod snapped...... cue a huge amount of embarrassment by me (I had an audience) and the guy trying to sell the rod. He immediately started saying that it must be a factory fault with the blanks and that by looking at the break it was obvious (clean snap) although I must confess, I am no expert and really didn't have a clue. The guff I was then told about it seemed to make sense but not so much sense that he managed to sell me a rod.... despite the guy massively reducing the cost for a different rod.

So, I was then trying to google Malcolm Grey of Alnwick fly rods to see what the reviews say and I found that someone had actually bought one of these rods whilst at the scone game fair and guess what.... it snapped the first time he went out to use it.

Can anyone tell me if there are clear indicators of a factory fault? I have managed to track down the retailers although I'd imagine that they will tell the poor individual to bugger off as it was a cash sale at a game fair.
Has anyone got one of these rods?

Cheers

Nick

Wildfisher

I have heard many stories of Greys and Hardy rods snapping, interesting to hear it first hand.

corsican dave

Malcolm Grey was recently (May) touring the highlands selling directly out of the back of his car (to retailers & hoteliers). not that this is any indicator of quality, of course; but it doesn't really create a good impression! one retailer told me he thought they were overpriced, which is not a direct indicator of quality either....
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Nick.Knight

I did notice his rods were in the display cabinet in the Scourie Hotel, along with another chap, Simon Barnes SIMBA rods. At a glance, both seem quite pleasing on the eye although I believe they get their blanks from different places.

Bobfly

I have twice snapped a rod whilst trying it out in the presence of shop staff at two separate tackle shops. As it happens both were Greys rods but on both occasions I was surprised by the staff being completely unfazed at the breakage and saying "we quite often get that" .....  :( :(
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Nick.Knight

I'm told that the blanks come from Korea....

burnie

I have a #7 weight 4 piece Greys and I've not broke it yet, seemed to double haul alright when I was using it on a loch. Also have a #5 weight 4 piece Hardy, pleased with that too.

Highlander

QuoteI have a #7 weight 4 piece Greys and I've not broke it yet

Give it time,  give it time.
:roll:
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page