News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The Con - Part 19

Started by otter, April 02, 2013, 02:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otter

Not a word was spoken for at least ten minutes, both anglers content to survey the river and to prepare mentally before actually fishing. Father Brennan rarely enjoyed fishing with another angler but he completely relaxed, allowing himself to absorb everything as though he were alone. It was obvious that Doc was of a similar mind and exuded a calmness that Father Brennan knew was a prerequisite to being a good fly angler. It did not matter what way you behaved normally but it mattered a great deal once you reached the river.

Doc finally broke the silence; 'Nymphs James, what do you think?' Father Brennan nodded; 'Sounds good to me, I'm very keen to learn modern methods. I have researched them a little but as you know theory and practice are two different things. Do you French Nymph at all?' Doc glanced at the river, as though seeking an answer; 'I do occasionally, I will set up my rod to French Nymph and you set up yours for a Klink and Dink.' Father Brennan nodded and then asked the obvious question; 'Doc, what the hell is Klink and Dink, sounds like an exotic cocktail?'; 'Nymph under a Klinkhammer.' replied Doc handing James a matchbox. 'Try these, black one on the point.'

Father Brennan set up his rod, a large bushy dry and two heavy nymphs underneath. He liked the look of Doc's nymphs and though he did not say so, he preferred his own and they were tied on. 'Off you go Doc, Show let's see if the French are as good at nymphing as they are at producing fine wines. Let me see your setup first though.'

Doc showed him the braided indicator that sat between the leader and the tippet and then slowly stepped into the river moving some twenty yards downstream. Drawing some line of the reel he started casting, covering the near water first, keeping the rod high he tracked back with each cast, both sets of eyes set on the indicator watching its every movement. Father Brennan whistled; 'Not bad, even my old eyes can see it.'

After about twenty casts Doc beckoned Father Brennan to join him, handed him his rod and standing at his left shoulder he guided him up the stream. It took a little time but soon Father Brennan felt in control and the nymphs were landing precisely where he intended. Apart from the indicator there was little difference than his own methods though the casting stroke required was slightly different. One badly timed cast caused a tangle which he dealt with quite quickly despite Doc laughing out loud.

When the indicator dipped and Father Brennan did not strike, Doc sighed; 'Missed one there James'; This happened a few more times and now Doc was getting a little agitated, James must be as blind as a bat; 'You have to strike when the indicator dips.'; but Father Brennan ignored him. 'Sorry Doc, I didn't see it dip. His casts were now covering the eye of the pool and his concentration, total. Just as the indicator passed the edge of a large rock, it moved ever so slightly of its line of drift and Father Brennan lifted the rod quickly bending into a good trout. As he played it, Doc teased him; 'Not bad, one hooked out of eight takes'; 'Stop yapping Doc and net this trout for me'; time to put this whippersnapper back into his box he reckoned. 'About a pound'; said Father Brennan as the trout came over the rim of the net; 'Nice trout, it was worth ignoring all those takes from the small trout to ensure this fellow was not put on guard by their splashing, eh Doc?'

Three one to Doc.

Wetting his hand, Doc reached into the net for the trout. Noticing that it had taken the point fly he seized the opportunity; 'Nice trout James, but it would have taken my black nymph, even if you had played every other trout in the pool.'

Hooked, now strike; 'It would take a better trout than that to take your black Nymph'; Father Brennan opened his cupped hand and handed Doc the black nymph, I swapped it for one of my own when I had that tangle. Doc stared at the hares ear nymph as he unhooked the trout, looked up at James, his growing admiration etched on his face. He had little doubt that with a few miles of river left to fish, this was one competition that would test his mettle and he looked forward to enjoying every single yard. Three two to Doc, a slender lead and both anglers knew it.

Returning ashore Father Brennan adjusted the setup his own rod and Doc removed the French leader setup from his and replaced it with a Klink with two nymphs underneath. Doc outlined the water ahead, Father Brennan listening intently; 'Sounds like the river has not changed too much. I should be okay on my own'; They had decided to leapfrog each other up the river. James would fish first with Doc coming behind. Then they would alternate on the next stretch. It remained unsaid, however both knew that to score a point would mean catching a good trout from water that the other had just fished. Both anglers recognised the skills of the other and any points scored would be few and far between.

Try as he might to concentrate Doc struggled, for watching Father Brennan fish was a pleasure all by itself. It was uncanny the way the old priest quietly waded from one prime spot to the next, extracting one good trout after another. Father Brennan had now reached Hoban's Rocks, a favourite spot of Doc's. When he reached the top he exited the river and sitting he lit a cigarette and watched Doc move quickly up, taking a few small trout on the way.

Doc was on a mission, Father Brennan had not covered the best lie at the rocks and Doc was already mentally preparing, ready to make the score four to two. Almost within range, he paused and changed the length of tippet that separated the Klinkhammer and his black nymph. Edging slowly forward he stopped, eyes focused on the tiny seam of water that snaked between two rocks. As he readied to cast, Father Brennan coughed loudly; 'This is your chance Doc, I left the best spot for you, make it count'; Doc looked up at James, growled and made his cast anyway, the nymphs landing two yards below the intended target with a heavy splash. 'Not to worry Doc, I'll try and locate another good trout for you. Hopefully you won't scare the next one.'

Father Brennan could not contain himself and burst out laughing. Doc groaned as he wound in and joined Father Brennan on the bank, outwitting this priest was not going to be easy, he would need to dig deep just to stay in touch.

Three All.

to be continued.

Ripple

Great competition between the two, riveting story.

Go To Front Page