News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Did a stupid thing

Started by bibio1, January 17, 2016, 07:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I once had a pair of Nora wellies but they drove me Batty.

Wilder the Better

I bought the Malham boots together with structured insoles on the advice of the guy who fitted / measured. £160 for the boots and another £40 for the insoles but this guy new his stuff. Dry feet are more than worth the £200 outlay.

caorach

I have, I think, 7 pairs of walking boots currently in the "cycle." I tend to have maybe 2 - 3 pairs for various bits of more "serious" walking plus a few others and I tend to relegate the worn out walking boots to everyday wear for work once they start to soften up a bit. This means that boots do me for quite a long time so although 7 pairs of boots sounds like a bit OTT i've had some of them for coming up to 10 years now.

I like 3 - 4 season walking boots by the likes of Scarpa and have two pairs of the older SLs, which I got end of line for not much money. I like the Scarpas but the linings in them don't wear so very well - they will do someone who is out 5 - 6 times a year for a lifetime but if you are out 100 days a year then it will not take too long to wear the lining. Not a big deal but can cause a few blisters for a day or two until things settle down. Despite this I like them and find them comfortable.

I have a pair of the Altberg Mallerstang boots and like them though they are relatively new and only have maybe 20 days out on them as yet. Required no breaking in, good and stiff though the sole tends to pick up stones a bit. Seem reasonable quality and at the minute I'm pleased with them. In terms of comfort and quality I'd currently rate them as about equal with the Scarpas.

For high leg then I have Mendil Dovre Extreme boots and in my view they are OK, but nothing special. I don't think they offer the same support as a decent 3 - 4 season walking boot and the sole isn't as stiff so they are not so handy for walking on the moor. They aren't bad boots but I don't think I'd buy another pair.

One thing worth considering if you are looking to buy boots is that the military now issue Haix and Altberg boots and these are often available as surplus items for around £50, the Grade 1 surplus are often new from what I can see. I have a pair of the Haix and they are good boots though they took a little bit more breaking in than some commercial boots. The sole isn't quite stiff enough for my liking but the support and quality is at least as good as the Mendil boots and they were about £200 cheaper. I haven't tried the Altberg surplus boots and they tend to be harder to find as I suspect they are in great demand - good Altberg boots for £50 sounds like a deal.

corsican dave

Quote from: caorach on February 05, 2016, 01:20:22 AM
I like the Scarpas but the linings in them don't wear so very well - they will do someone who is out 5 - 6 times a year for a lifetime but if you are out 100 days a year then it will not take too long to wear the lining.
i can personally vouch for at least 40+ professional users who'd disagree with you; and we're out on the hill far, far more than 5-6 times a year. i would guess there's a fit issue here, possibly footbed. the scarpa last isn't good for me, personally; but the build quality of their high-end boots is without question.

however i'd agree with you on the rest. you're recommending top quality £200+ boots, just getting them at knock-off prices. my only slight concern with the hiax boots is the sole unit. pu/rubber mixes wear down quicker than some. if you want a higher leg with a stiffer sole unit you could try zamberlan vioz or Lhasa or the hanwag trapper top. you can just about fit a strap on crampon to these. also bear in mind that the longer your foot, the more it will flex, regardless of stiffness. guys with size 14+ (more and more of them out there, these days) have real problems finding boots that are rigid enough for front-point crampon use
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Bobfly

When I had about 50 guys on powerline clearance maintenance work in all weathers and site conditions the absolute favourite top-choice chainsaw boots were high-ankle Haix ones. Lasted very well indeed and excellent bombproof construction, and also not really any heavier than other high-ankle stalkers boots types. Highly recommended boots.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

corsican dave

yes, it's nice to see a relatively new player (1992) to the scene who is prepared to do things at the highest level. it's a very brave move with considerable investment in both people and plant. good for them!  :D

it also shows that it's just not possible to make good quality footwear on the cheap
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Bobfly

I have a pair of the Haix chainsaw boots .. and they really feel the dog's doodaas when you put them on. I am assuming that they would make similar boots but without the kevlar layerings inside to meet the chainsaw ISO specs. If they do they would be worth a look.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page