News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Shooting Heads

Started by rannoch raider, January 28, 2016, 03:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rannoch raider

Just wondering if anyone uses a proper shooting head on a single handed rod ? I use a Rio Outbound line for some types of fishing and I find the heavy short head good for turning over bigger flies. I wonder if I could get a similar effect and increased distance with a proper set up, running line etc ?
Any advice appreciated.

Jim

shad

Aye Jim they seem to have gone out of fashion with all the new lines like outbounds and 40+ that are available now.

I was using one for Bass which was caimore floating shooting line and the front taper of a WF9 clear intermediate went out great on my 8wt.But I picked up an outbound in the same format and use that now.

Only time I would still use them is for pollack of the shore,down our way the rocks really trash the line often cutting bits off pulling out snags. I use 35ft heads cut from a Di 7 which are cheap and easy to change if one gets buggered.But then I've not done any pollack fishing for a few years.

Don't the Scandinavian sea trout still use them a lot?

burnie

Salmon anglers are using shooting heads more on the likes of the Tay, Spey and Tweed with the big Snelda and Pot belly pig flies, so sure it will work for you.

rannoch raider

Thanks for the replies guys. Considering the price of the latest outbound 'in touch' and short head lines it probably does make sense to use cheaper harder wearing home made jobs for coastal work. I've tried a few very amateur shooting heads in the past and wasn't impressed with their poor performance and handling. I suppose that could have been down to incorrect construction right enough. I'm not to sure if a good, well made SH could offer much more than the better short head lines like the airflow  :shock: forty plus lines etc for general less demanding situations but I'll have a play around with some cheaper bits and pieces for sharp rocky areas as mentioned by Colin.  :wink:

Go To Front Page