News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Flurocarbon

Started by free the bees, May 19, 2017, 09:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

Quote from: Roobarb on May 21, 2017, 12:51:28 AM
I have in the last twenty years been broken by fish only five times.
Not one of these have been the mythical "unexplained breakages".
I do not use flurocarbon.
Go figure!

Andy
Hempel'sRavens !  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

free the bees

Out fishing today, back to maxima and no breaks at all and the fish didn't mind! 

Oh and the fluro is now in the bin

Wildfisher

Quote from: free the bees on May 21, 2017, 09:57:45 AM
Oh and the fluro is now in the bin

The perfect place for it imho.    :8)

corsican dave

Quote from: Roobarb on May 21, 2017, 01:02:24 PM
Some people suggest that if you lose a few it doesn't matter because you hook more - these people shouldn't be allowed near water :evil:
no; they should be taken to water & used as fish food along with Luca Brasi  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Another  issue I have with fluorocarbon is it has a half life similar to plutonium. You really don't want to be leaving that in a fish, far less in the environment.

IMO Fluorocarbon is mostly  about marketing hype. Alex is the best angler I know by a mile. He manages to catch OK on nylon / co-polymer .  :lol:

Highlander

QuoteSome people suggest that if you lose a few it doesn't matter because you hook more - these people shouldn't be allowed near water :evil:

I have to agree with that statement.
I know it is not Fluo bt the next bad thing Drennan Double Strength. Now that is a material that should never be let loose on the fishing public.
I remember an article in Trout & Salmon many years ago by no other than Stan The Man where he was using this & lost  I think it was 9 fish due to breakage/bad knot whatever. The thing I could not get out my head was why he did not do something about it i.e. change to nylon after the first couple of losses but carried on using it. But remember guys this was prior to his omnipotent self so maybe that was the reason.
:roll:
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

rannoch raider

I remember that Drennan double strength stuff! it was the worst tippet on the planet. Awful stuff.

Wildfisher

The problem with double strength is it is pre-stretched - that is why it is thin - and has little elasticity. I'm sure it would be OK for dry fly, but for pulling wets it is a disaster as are all co-polymers I have used.   

corsican dave

i got some hardy co-polymer the other day, basically because i couldn't get on with the rio fluoro and the grand max is in the post... it's bloody horrible! kinks& twists like hell and looks like it's weak as sh#t straight off the spool. at less than £2 it's a bargain. not. it's in the bin.

Go To Front Page