News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Trout Etcetera

Started by Wildfisher, October 05, 2005, 09:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

This is not a new book (1996), but I got a cheap copy  from Amazon (marketplace).

Brian Clarke is a superb writer, his original book being a renowned classic ? mainly  written around stockies ? but written in the days when stocked  fisheries were somewhat more wholesome places than they are today.

Anyway, this book is a collection of short pieces from his various  newspaper columns  and they are  superbly written. The sign of a good writer,  in my view,  is one who  can write intelligently and in a captivating manner,  using everyday English. In short,  a book you can enjoy without  the need for constant referral to the Oxford English dictionary.  At this Clarke excels.

One chapter is very relevant to us all. He discusses the threat to angling and quite rightly points out that the real threat does not come from ?antis? but from alienating public opinion, which, fortunately is still with us to a large extent.  He  discusses   modern day commercial fisheries  and some of the less savoury practices  ?forced? upon them by competition  for the anglers business. If you think some  stocked rainbow fisheries leave a bit to be desired, you should read what goes on in stocked course fisheries.

Quote : ? Right now, excesses within angling are gradually inclining us in one direction when public opinion is gradually moving in the other. Only by resisting all  excesses will we avoid a premature collision ???.?

Wildfisher

Quote from: SandflyNever heard of that one Fred but I agree about the original , The Pursuit Of Stillwater Trout is well worth reading .
The Trout and The Fly co-written with John Goddard was also a great thought provoking book .

Davy .

You can pick it up on Amazon for under a fiver + P&P. My copy was about 7 quid in total. A new, unread copy and  damned good buy.

Go To Front Page