News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The Scottish Fishing Book

Started by Fierybroon, February 04, 2006, 09:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fierybroon

This is an excellent reference book for the beginner and a wealth of information on where to fish,contacts and prices etc.Beautiful pictures and covers all types of fishing to be had in Scotland.If bought in person from
John R. Gows in Dundee can even be personally signed by the auther.A great read for whatever level you are at!!!

nikkitam

i'll second fierybroon's recomendation - i bought my copy in the edinburgh wool mill in moffat

Fierybroon

If you take your copy down to Gow's in Dundee you can get it signed.

Wildfisher

Sorry chaps, but I must say this is not  a book I rate especially highly. If it is aimed at beginners then I must question the wisdom of including a photo of an angler standing while fishing from  a boat on Loch Lee.

deergravy

Fred,
I think that's a wee bit harsh, condemning a book on the basis of one picture.
But I can see why you were peeved - whenever I see people standing up in a boat to fish I think "these clowns don't know what they're doing". It's dangerous and counter-productive.
For a tenner, I'd say the book was worth having, lots of nice pictures, no great revelations as far as fishing methods go.
Probably aimed at the "relatives of fishermen, looking for a cheap present" market and as such does quite a pleasing job.
Dave

Wildfisher

Dave,  I am not condemning the book over one picture – in fact I am not condemning it at all really, just saying I don't rate it that highly.   It's just not my kind of read I suppose. The photos were good, pity about the plonker standing in the boat. On a wee shallow loch that's OK, but on a glacial loch  like loch lee it is bloody daft. If you fall in there you are in trouble. Too many folk have been drowned due to standing  in boats.

Odd you should mention it thouhg, I do believe I got the book as a present!   :D

Go To Front Page