News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Trout Lochs of Scotland

Started by Fierybroon, February 12, 2006, 05:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

I've lost mine.
Looks like I'll be bidding against you guys on ebay too.
Maybe we should just take it in turns to bid (one forum member per book) and keep the price down. :wink:

It's a right riveting read and has introduced me to loads of lochs.
Mind you, Mac the ghillie up at Scourie told me through a haze of malt that Bruce had never seen some of the lochs.

Bruce?
Protect the edge.

Fishtales

As far as I know Bruce only correlated the information that was sent to him and re-wrote his trout Lochs of Scotland to update it. He has fished a fair number of the lochs and rivers but it would take a few lifetimes to see them all never mind fish them :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

haresear

QuoteBruce only correlated the information that was sent to him and re-wrote his trout Lochs of Scotland to update it. He has fished a fair number of the lochs and rivers but it would take a few lifetimes to see them all never mind fish them

Well he did a fine job of gathering the info Sandy. I think everyone who has ever bought a copy will be eternally grateful to Bruce. I can't think of another "guide" which comes close, particularly one which is trout based.

But what do I know? Peter Ross is a good friend of mine :wink:
Protect the edge.

Pearly Invicta

It's my guess that if Bruce had a pound for every time someone has accused him of not having fished every loch, river and burn in Scotland, he would be nearly as wealthy as Swithun.

Bruce did all of us who love the wild fish a great service when he produced that book.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Pearly InvictaBruce did all of us who love the wild fish a great service when he produced that book.

It is the  most useful fishing book ever written for Scottish anglers.

Malcolm

Och, I love the book but either it's a workof purest fiction or I'm an even worse fisherman than I think I am. Always encourages me to have a go though  for that mighty trout that boiledat Bruce's fly on Laidon. Or was that Tales of the Loch?
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

deergravy

Fred,

I agree completely, his two fishing guides are indispensible, and without peer.
Obviously, his advice on flies and tactics are, for the most part, perfunctory space-filling (recommended flies; pick three trad wets), but his descriptions of what to expect, where to park  and how to get there are invaluable.
If anyone thinks they could write a more authoritive guide to wild Scottish lochs, I'd like to see it.
Use the book for what it is - a rough guide, not gospel.

Dave

Wildfisher

Too true. Anyone who judges it as a guide to catching fish or to tactics has missed the point of the book by a mile.  I just cannot imagine how I would manage without it.  Bruce deserves a bloody medal just for the effort that has gone into collating all that info for "Rivers  and Lochs", I  know for a fact that some estates were,  let us just say, less than co-operative. But we will say no more about that.

Stevie R

Have to agree -- its a top book.

The one I have is the 1992 version -- is there a more up to date verison in publication?

Stevie

Go To Front Page