News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Beneath the Black Water, Jon Berry

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2011, 10:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Chief

I've just been on a fantastic fishing trip but I didn't leave the house. I was taken on this journey by Jon Berry's wonderful book called "Beneath the Black Water"
The content of the book is basically all about Jon's obsession with Ferox trout but it is actually much more than that. It's actually a glimpse into the last thirteen years of Jon's life.
Although I certainly do not have a passion for ferox trout nor do I ever intend to hunt for these mysterious creatures I really did find this book compulsive reading. His whole obsession and compulsion really struck a chord with me. I defy any passionate fisherman who reads this book not to deny that they see a bit of themselves within these pages. Jon captures the essence of fishing and in some part explains the theory that there really is more to fishing than catching fish. It's about the journey, the landscapes, the planning, the anticipation, the people you fish with, the unknown and sheer escapism.
My only criticism of this book is that it wasn't long enough; I never wanted the journey to end. To be honest I think Jon's journey hasn't really ended he has only paused to collect his thoughts.
As you may have guessed I can't recommend this book highly enough.

Guddler

Wildfisher

Thanks Allan. That's another one to add to my burgeoning pile of winter reading!    :D

Black-Don

I noticed this book during the summer and intend getting a copy at some point cheers for the reminder

Buanán

Quote from: Clan Chief on October 25, 2011, 10:16:59 PMI defy any passionate fisherman who reads this book not to deny that they see a bit of themselves within these pages. Jon captures the essence of fishing and in some part explains the theory that there really is more to fishing than catching fish. It's about the journey, the landscapes, the planning, the anticipation, the people you fish with, the unknown and sheer escapism.
My only criticism of this book is that it wasn't long enough; I never wanted the journey to end. To be honest I think Jon's journey hasn't really ended he has only paused to collect his thoughts.

Aye, a good read. I saw myself and a fair few others within it's pages. I'd go as far as to say this isn't a fishing book as such rather a biographical introspective reflection of the mans personal journey thus far and fishing is the vehicle used to highlight the way points, get beyond the fishing and there is much food for thought.   

I read it in a single sitting and I too wouldn't have minded it lasting for a few more.   

Wildfisher

Quote from: Buanán on October 26, 2011, 10:19:50 AM
get beyond the fishing and there is much food for thought.   

Then it's definitely on my list. Fishing books, by and large,  tend to be petty dull stuff.

Malcolm

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Just bought it. New, hardcover, £7.94 inc P+P Amazon.

Buanán

Quote from: admin on October 26, 2011, 10:31:48 AM
Then it's definitely on my list. Fishing books, by and large,  tend to be petty dull stuff.

It's no manual Fred far from it, but there is a nugget or two for those seeking the ferox. Whats wonderful is the way these nuggets reveal themselves.

Clan Chief

It's one of the best books I've read for some time. I'm sure I'll read it again before the winter is oot.
I read it in two sittings.

Go To Front Page