News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The wee red book

Started by Clan Chief, September 08, 2011, 05:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Chief

A thread was posted on a fishing forum, views were exchanged, Pm's were passed,phone calls were made and received, texts were sent and received and eventually,today, a Scottish Water Van and an NLC van rendezvoused on the A73 in Lanarkshire, Hands were shook, sterling changed hands and I was now the proud owner of something I have longed to have for many years.It is red and has gold colored lettering. It measures 8 3/4'' x 5 1/2'' and is a 1/2 thick. It has 80 pages, was first published in 1973 and cost £1.50p back then.
The author's name was music to my ears........ C Sharp
Yes! I had at long last after years or searching for it, a copy of "Lets Fish the Clyde".  Bert's book is wonderfully rare and is much sought after. I could not believe my luck when I was contacted about the availability of this scarce book.
Many years ago I visited the Mitchell Library in Glasgow to view and read this book for the first time. I photocopied every page and still have these copies in a folder which I recently decided to read again. But it's not the same as actually owning an original copy of the book. It's a wealth of information which is still relevent today. Personally this classic completes a trio of Clydestyle fishing and tying books books that I now own, which I intend to study and enjoy over the coming months. Then when March comes along I intend to get onto the Clyde and learn to fish the river.

paulr

Nice one,
Now you have to get a hold of "Let's Fish Again"  ;-)
cheers
Paul

Fishtales

Quote from: paulr on September 08, 2011, 05:52:11 PM
Nice one,
Now you have to get a hold of "Let's Fish Again"  ;-)
cheers
Paul

I have that one :)

I also have the 'Flies' book but not the wee red book, at least I don't think I do. I have that many books dotted about the place I loose track :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Sandison

Great story - and wonderfully told - well done on finally getting your hands on a masterpiece
Bruce Sandison

Clan Chief

I'll try and get the other one in the future sometime . Better let the wife calm doon before I go after the next one. :lol:

Highlander

You do not say how much sterling changed hands & probably not a wise idea to do so.
:)

I have had mine for a few years now & I was offered £200 for it recently. It is a pristine copy & is signed by the author with a dedication to someone that is mentioned in the book. How it came to be on E Bay all that time ago is beyond me. I will not say how much I paid for it but it was no way near the £200 offer.
Only one I have not managed to acquire is Lets Fish Again but one keeps looking.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Clan Chief

It wasn't anywhere near 200. There is one at Coch y Bondhu books available at the moment for 200 :shock:
Also one at Amazon  for 115

Highlander

Well you enjoy the book, Like Reid's it is the definitive book on the subject, a worthwile reference.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Clan Chief

Yeah! going to treasure it.  :)

Go To Front Page