News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

If i could have only one fishing book it would be...

Started by Malcolm, February 02, 2012, 08:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

"Trout" by Ernest Schwiebert. A monumental work that I bought in the mid 80's and haven't ever read end to end. I have read it all though. I'm forever dipping into it for one thing or another. I'll be honest in that generally I prefer my books to be by great writers like David Street, Bill Currie, Robin ade, Negley Farson to name but a few. This book is partly like that and partly facts and figures. At 1745 pages(and weighing it at around 10lbs for the 2 volumes) it would see most people through a full month.

What's yours? 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

RichardL

I would have to say Bruce's bible on lochs and rivers.  The single greatest book I have ever received as a gift and directly has helped me find lochs and fish I never would have done without it.

I also enjoyed Howell Raines "fly fishing through a midlife crisis"

Highlander

As a reet guid read the novella "A River Runs Through it" takes some beating.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Black-Don

I'm sorry to admit that I'm not a great fan of fishing novels and find more interest in books such as Bruce's " Rivers and Lochs " or my recent purchase John Veniard's " Fly Dressers' Guide " , originally published in 1952, which although not a modern book is a wealth of information on tying and patterns.

I have a copy of Peter Gathercole's more modern " Fly Tying Bible " and although it is a good book in it's own more modern way, it just doesn't seem to have that same " je ne sais quoi " which the veniard's book seems to have.

Maybe I'm just getting old !  :lol:

haresear

For fishing in Scotland It has to be Bruce's book for me too. I hate to keep harping on about New Zealand, but John Kent's South Island Guide has been as accurate and influential as Bruce's. The southern hemisphere equivalent.

Leaving aside my coarse fishing heroes: Charles Ritz, Frank Sawyer, Goddard & Clarke were hugely influential from a tactical point of view.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Tim

I'm with 'rivers and lochs...'

When I'm on Desert Island Discs it will definitely be my one book. Sitting under some sh*tty palm tree in paradise dreaming about the rain and the midgies...

Tim

fergie

Brook

For Trout it would have to be,Fishing A Highland Stream by John Inglis Hall.Takes You back to a diffrent era.
Other books I really loved,
A Pikers Progress by John Watson.Sheer obsession.
Both Jon Beer's books,for the travelling.
Dennis Moss's books for massive Trout.

Go To Front Page