News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

8 Fishing DVDs For A Fiver

Started by Wildfisher, July 20, 2012, 11:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Yes, that's what I  won on Ebay. Pretty old, 1990s films, very English, very coarse fishing as you might imagine. I have only watched a few so far - chub, barbel and pike.

Utterly fascinating.

I could never be a coarse fisherman, life is far too short. Remote control bait boats, two or three rods to look after, chairs, landing nets with 20 foot handles, 3/4 of a ton of maggots and luncheon meat,  a small articulated truck to get it all  to the waterside..........   :lol:

Now don't get me wrong, these guys are experts, and imo, far more skilled, multi-skilled in fact, than most trout fishers will ever be no matter what AAPGAIXYZ-ISH  courses they have been on or what qualifications they hold. The fish communities are complex and the subject is vast.  But it's just all so "busy" compared to the simplicity of a fly  rod, reel, spool of nylon and a box of flies.

After watching that Paul Young stuff I am thoroughly enjoying this. It's an education.  :8)

alancrob

Yeah, it is all very busy for about 3 hours before leaving the house and another hour after arriving.......

Then you sit for hours at a time waiting for a buzzer to go off.

I like fly fishing because the stuff is in the car/garage/dunny and at a moments notice you can head off. 10 minutes after arriving you can be fishing and if the fish are not biting you just wander off somewhere else.

Yes very skilled and knowledgeable but not for me thanks.

A.

Wildfisher

The best fly fisher I know by a long way is Alex (sorry to embarrass you Eck  :lol:)  he was a serious coarse fisher first. I do not believe that is a coincidence. Coarse fishing well, requires huge attention to detail, preparation and no small measure of skill. Forget the electronic buzzers that's only a very small part of it in  carp / pike circles. 

As I said it's all a bit cumbersome and requires too much gear for my taste, but I admire the skill of these guys. What really makes me laugh  is the duffer chuck and chance it salmon fishing fraternity looking down on coarse fishing.   :roll: Clueless!    :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on July 21, 2012, 07:28:19 PM
he would be still there long after others have given up and gone home....

Tell me about it.  See the job I have getting him off the water in NZ before closing time    :lol:

Traditionalist

A lot depends on how you go about it.  The worse thing is lugging load and loads of stuff around, although I have done that too. For me it's all just fishing, I don't differentiate between "coarse" fish and "game" fish as such.  A nice fish is a nice fish, whatever species it happens to be.

Was fishing all day yesterday, got a load of fish, only two brown trout, one nice perch of two pounds and a lot of other species. Didn't get a sniff of a sea trout, which is what I was really after.  Just had my rod and reel, my fishing jacket with a few odds and sods, and a small pot of worms. Wandered up the river fishing the spots I fancied. As it got dark I legered for a while in a big pool, got some big roach, some perch, a small pike that grabbed a gudgeon I was reeling in, several bream, and a few other fish.

Saw a few water voles, a bisam, a moorcock, loads of deer, a kingfisher, two species of bats and a whole lot of other things. Was a very nice day indeed.  I didn't take a camera, I keep meaning to, but it just seems too much of an encumbrance usually. Unless you have it ready all the time you miss the shots you want anyway.

I do like catching trout, sea trout, and salmon ( which is not very often now), but I like catching other things as well, always have done.

TL
MC

haresear

QuoteA lot depends on how you go about it.  The worse thing is lugging load and loads of stuff around, although I have done that too. For me it's all just fishing, I don't differentiate between "coarse" fish and "game" fish as such.  A nice fish is a nice fish, whatever species it happens to be.

I agree.

Some of my most enjoyable days have been trotting for chub/barbel/roach. Float rod, centrepin reel, landing net and a bait bag. The bits and bobs of tackle are in your jacket/waistcoat and you just wander the river, feeding swims as you go.... Magic.

A good few years ago, I used to go to the Swale in Yorkshire for the odd weekend. At times I would wander the river with rod, reel, landing net, one rod rest and an old emulsion tin for carrying the bait and for sitting on. That light approach let me explore  the river and fish floating dog biscuits (great fun) or ledger/freeline cheese/meat/bread. Really enjoyable fishing and I did pretty well with that approach.

Alex 
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

I'm just back from an intense pole fishing session for tench and carp with the 1991 world match fishing  champion. We used a 10M pole with different grades of elastic through the top three sections and exiting over a PTFE bearing. Before we assembled the pole we poured  ½ bottle of silicone lubricant down these sections  because, as you know, it's essential that there is minimal friction between elastic and pole interior. This is essential when you have a 4lb main line attached to the elastic with a quick release coupling and an even lighter hook  length.

We were after big fish after all.

We mixed 2 different types of ground bait. A heavy rough mix for bottom feeding and a much lighter mix for surface feeding. This finer mix was pressed through a riddle to remove any lumps. Obviously.

We fed the swim constantly, but were troubled by small fish taking the bait on the drop until the bigger boys moved in and chased them away. We ended up with some nice crucian carp, some crackers of tench and one pretty good common carp of about 6lb

I'm knackerd after that and will never ever complain about the complexity of fly choice again.

Seriously though, these guys are good and intense beyond belief!   :D

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on July 21, 2012, 11:20:08 PM
felt like i was there for a moment, gripping stuff,

Far more interesting than watching some villain from "Taggart"  hauling pellet pigs out of a stocked fishery near Dundee.  :lol:

shad

Thank buggery its not just me !!
Few years ago I joined Lovefilm and ended up addicted to Bob Nudd DVDs through the winter, what a great angler.Also enjoyed a Black country guy called Des something or other?
From what I gather the coarse scene has shifted to commercial ponds now which is sad , if I lived down sarf Id love to have a go for Chub in the Rivers.

ATB Colin

Wildfisher

Quote from: shad on July 21, 2012, 11:31:56 PM
ended up addicted to Bob Nudd DVDs through the winter

Aye, it was Bob I was pole fishing with this evening. He is pretty serious.  :lol:

I was out on The Teme after barbel with Des (Taylor) yesterday.   :8)

Go To Front Page