News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

FF+FT March 2006

Started by Wildfisher, February 16, 2006, 12:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Just got it today. I see that Stan the man seems to be contradicting himself again or is it just  me?  I would  swear he wrote, not that long ago, that he did not trust fluorocarbon and now he is talking about it being good stuff and singing its praises.  FF+FT should be careful about what they print. Stan’s test for checking if your fluorocarbon is real or just coated  nylon is to set it on fire. Not a good idea. Burning fluorocarbon apparently gives of highly toxic fumes  and should not be inhaled.

beaniboy67

Quote from: adminJust got it today. I see that Stan the man seems to be contradicting himself again or is it just  me? .

hahahahahahaha. have you ever read the book on orkney lochs?

everything is a contradiction in that one :o  it fishes best in a westerly but sometimes in a southerly.Some days it wont fish in these winds and only a easterly or northely produces results.  :lol: the full book reads similair to the above statement

Then again fishing is never straightforward and what works one day will not work on another .

His new book is the dogs b******s though and must be the most important book on scottish wild fishing ever written.

Wildfisher

We had a bit about this some weeks ago. I seems that most are giving up FC for environmental  / price / breakage reasons and going back to bog standard nylon.

I have a few spools of FC in my bag but will only now use it for special occasions, although I have no idea what they might be. It seems that all that cheepo FC  is not FC at all, just pre stretched nylon or copolymer with an FC coating. A bit of a con. It’s amazing what clever marketing can achieve.

lnelson20

Lost a substantial trout last season using flouro,and none of this nonsense of wind knot's etc,straight sheer off between dropper's,don't like leaving flies in troot's though,and don't think it would have happened with my standard nylon.Floro was new to me last season,and i think we like to dabble with the unknown,probably have another bash with it with the dries though,just to see how it goes,but no doubt i will revert back to my usual nylon,nothing like confidence in your usual gear.
All the best
Chris.
c.nelson

Fierybroon

I only use flouro,and have never had any problem with it.I have wychwood and grand max.The biggest pro I think is weight to diameter.I can fish with stronger flouro for the same diameter as nylon.ie.6lb flouro is around the same diameter as 4lb.Just roughly speaking,all depends on brands and makes!

Wildfisher

Quote from: beaniboy67
His new book is the dogs b******s though and must be the most important book on scottish wild fishing ever written.

I haven’t read  Stan’s new book, however, I have to say that in my opinion, the most important books  about Scottish wild trout fishing have been  written by Bruce Sandison. I’ve been fishing since the 1960’s, have read a library full of books  and I cannot for the life of me think of a more important and useful book than “Rivers and Lochs”. There is no  more useful book than that. It is priceless and a must for all wild trout fishers

Wildfisher

I forgot to mention, I see that there are two articles by one tweedy auld git in this month’s edition.  :lol:

lnelson20

Quote from: Bandy Catcher
QuoteLost a substantial trout last season

Fit's a substantial troot like like? Mind and post the answer to Fred too.

Bandy Catcher
Sorry John,got the last four letter's wrong,should have been d.a.r.d :lol:
All the best
Chris.
c.nelson

beaniboy67

Quote from: admin
Quote from: beaniboy67

I haven?t read  Stan?s new book, however, I have to say that in my opinion, the most important books  about Scottish wild trout fishing have been  written by Bruce Sandison. I?ve been fishing since the 1960?s, have read a library full of books  and I cannot for the life of me think of a more important and useful book than ?Rivers and Lochs?. There is no  more useful book than that. It is priceless and a must for all wild trout fishers

Bruces book is the most important book on fishing locations and where to get permission ect ect.The trout lochs book has also been a companion of mines for years and showed me places to fish id never have even thought of.I tend to look at both those books as my directory enquiries of the fishing available and definately the most important book of its kind ever written.

On my statement about Stans book i maybe should have said the most important book concerning wild fishing techniques and scottish loch trout behaviour.

Stans book is not about fishing locations or the fisheries available. The book is really about entomology,weather and wind influences on fish, loch enviroment and eco systems.Trout behaviour, fly colour preference in certain light conditions.Theres also some excellent theories on wet fly patterns, styles and techniques alongside dry fly techniques and appropriatte patterns for wild trout in lochs.the whole book is really a very modern updated and scientific lesson on loch fishing for the wild browns of orkney,caithness,sutherland and the hebrides.

well worth a read  

if you have a slight dislike of stocking and rainbows you will probably like it more

Go To Front Page