News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Solicitor

Started by johnny boy, February 28, 2008, 07:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny boy

I have been looking for a while for the tying for a fly called the solicitor.  I have seen a rather poor quality picture of one on the net and it appears to look a little like a wickhams but given the quality of the picture it could easily be a golden invicta.

Does anyone have any idea where i can get some info on this fly, the tying, possible even a decent picture of one.

Thanks in advance

PS New forum user so be gentle.

johnny boy

That sounds great Ardbeg. 

I have been told that it is quite effective as a top dropper for Salmon & Sea Trout.  I know that the Wickhams is supposed to be a decent taker of migratory fish (James Waltham certainly thinks so in his wonderful book 'Sea Trout Flies') but its never done much for me.

The picture you have posted was the only one I had been able to find as well.  Thanks for the dressing.

As I plan to use the fly as an attractor I may vary the propotions slightly different from the fly in the picture.  Slightly heavier body hackle and less of a head hackle.  I will probably tie some lightly dressed bodies just in case.  Us fly tyers just cant leave anything alone.

Strange you say its from Uist.  I am from the Western Isles as well and cant say I have heard of this fly in over 20 years fly fishing.  Maybe I just need to listen a little more.

Have you fished this fly much and if so what sort of results have you had?

Sandison

The fly was devised and designed by the late Iain Christie of Portree on the Island of Skye.

This photograph of the fly was tied using material from Iain's own fly tying box.

It was initially intended for use on Loch Lomond as a sea-trout attractor.

It is associated with South Uist because Iain Christie often fished there, when he also devised three other famous flies: Holy Willie, Wee Peter and Charlie Maclean.
Bruce Sandison

lnelson20

I can still remember your article covering these three flees in one of the magazines many years ago Bruce,very enjoyable.

Chris.
c.nelson

Wildfisher

I would be very wary of putting a fly called the Solicitor in my box. I'd be concerned  it would  costing me ?50 each time I opened the lid without the Solicitor actually doing anything.  :D

zeolite

Surely you could get one on a "no catch no fee" basis?

:D
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Go To Front Page