News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

South west Scotland sea spots

Started by Captain conger, July 09, 2018, 05:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain conger

Hey folks. I'm dragging the family down to kirkonnel near newton Stewart tomorrow. With the lack of rain I'm dodging the rivers so it's time to dig out the beach caster for its once a year attempt at landing anything.
Any clever people out there know of any good coastal stretches down south west Scotland and what I'd expect/hope to catch? Vans loaded up with more spinners lures and shiny things than the gac has in stock.
Apologies if this has been asked before but can't seem to find any previous threads.

rannoch raider

I'm no expert on that part of the South West but from what I gather it's pretty much small flatties and dogfish from that area and that's if your lucky. Quite a bit further round the coast towards port William and into Luce Bay things get better for the shore angler using baits of lures for Bass and Pollack. There also a chance of smoothies and even Tope but it's a hell of a distance from you.
I know bass are caught nearer you but couldn't put you on a mark as most as closely guarded secrets and I don't know exactly where they are.
You might get someone on the WSF forum who will advise but I doubt it !

haresear

The mouths of most streams down that way can produce bass. I am sure I read that the cree estuary produces them among others .
I have had bass down that way myself but further west in Luce bay.
Alex
Protect the edge.

Captain conger

A like the idea of bass. Am there aw week as they say so ave got time and wheels to get about so al try the mentioned areas and see how a get on.
Cheers again guys.

haresear

Quote from: Captain conger on July 09, 2018, 11:32:54 PM
A like the idea of bass. Am there aw week as they say so ave got time and wheels to get about so al try the mentioned areas and see how a get on.
Cheers again guys.

A few spots to try around Luce bay.
Monreith beach near Port William. Mouth of the Luce. The golf course beyond that. Sandhead beach down to the Grennan wood and beyond.
My mate has been getting lots on fly gear but plugs, sandeels fished behind a bubble float work too.
Protect the edge.

rannoch raider

haresear

Protect the edge.

rannoch raider

IanR

I've had bass from the shore at the Auchenlarie caravan site, near Gatehouse of Fleet.

Go To Front Page