News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Trout & Salmon

Started by johnny boy, June 18, 2017, 12:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laxdale

A lot of salmon anglers have taken to buying "Chasing Silver" because they were fed up of all the articles of no interest to them in T & S.

Wildfisher

The answer to the mags of course is the same as anything else. If you like them buy them if you don't don't. Hardly groundbreaking.   :lol:

SoldierPmr

I've never been one for buying mags though the ones I have looked at T & S stood head and shoulders above the rest.

arawa

An electronic copy of T&S comes free for me in a magazine bundle but it does not take long to scan it as there is not usually much to interest a Highland trout angler. I often buy FFFT because there are some well-written and relevant articles and I would not like to see such an enthusiasts' magazine disappear.
However, I was really disappointed in both magazines failure to take any significant interest in the WFR and its potential impacts. FFFT did publish a letter from me on the subject but if there was ever any editorial or analysis of the subject I missed it. T&S did not respond to me at all and nor did it cover the subject from a trout angling perspective. This was a hot and significant topic that deserved their attention (IMHO!).

JimJams

With the amount of travelling and planes I live on I'm forever picking up magazines.
Trout and salmon sometimes has interesting snippets, but generally ads etc.
I prefer FF&FT though in all honesty, I like the inspiration for patterns etc, not sure if you want that magnwoth focusing on fisheries as if they did I wouldn't buy it, maybe one article now and again.
On the other hand, trout fisherman, absolutely horrendous mag, came free with a copy of T&S but luckily it was Daves carp issue! So the only plus there!

burnie

I used to buy the T&S in the 1960's and '70's when I 'd never cast a fly or even seen a Salmon or Sea trout river, it was part of my education, reading about rivers in that far off northern place called Scotland. Fast forward 40 or so years and I'm now fishing these waters with fond memories, not that I can remember anything that was written in them. I cannot remember the last time I bought a fishing mag or paper, there was a time when my name and occasionally my face appeared in many an Angling paper/mag, but that was coarse fishing and I don't do much of that these days.

Wildfisher

Trout and Salmon is a shadow of its former self. When I were but a lad it was packed with articles casting spells of  charming dry fly only days on The Test  with Sir Rupert and Great Uncle Stodger catching fine trout beneath blue, mayfly filled  skies. 

Ah yes, those were the days when only the best people were allowed on those rivers and the hoi polloi were kept at bay and in their place!  It gave young working class Scots like myself something to aim for in one's fly fishing life. Sadly, like  the Trout and Salmon of yore, those days have gone forever and they'll let anyone on. 

Now the Wild Fishing Forum stands virtually alone in bringing  hope of better fly fishing days by maintaining the old values of exclusivity, outright elitism and ruthless cliquishness;  the  world of fly fishing is a far better place because of it.   :lol:

SoldierPmr

Quote from: admin on June 18, 2017, 08:39:28 PM
Trout and Salmon is a shadow of its former self. When I were but a lad it was packed with articles casting spells of  charming dry fly only days on The Test  with Sir Rupert and Great Uncle Stodger catching fine trout beneath blue, mayfly filled  skies. 

Ah yes, those were the days when only the best people were allowed on those rivers and the hoi polloi were kept at bay and in their place!  It gave young working class Scots like myself something to aim for in one's fly fishing life. Sadly, like  the Trout and Salmon of yore, those days have gone forever and they'll let anyone on. 

Now the Wild Fishing Forum stands virtually alone in bringing  hope of better fly fishing days by maintaining the old values of exclusivity, outright elitism and ruthless cliquishness;  the  world of fly fishing is a far better place because of it.   :lol:

I know its shocking I even hear they let scaffolders fish on there  :shock: also a lad I worked in Basingstoke Morrison's with is now one of the keepers  :lol:

Inchlaggan

Scaffolders! The thin end of the wedge! It'll be plasterers and brickies next, plumbers, electricians, joiners, hell in a handcart.
The only salvation is that they cannot read, spend their cash on booze and fags, so do not read T&S and are excluded from this forum.
The working class, eh? Just get on with the work, leave the fishing to us- the elite- know your place.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

SoldierPmr

Quote from: Inchlaggan on June 18, 2017, 08:59:30 PM
Scaffolders! The thin end of the wedge! It'll be plasterers and brickies next, plumbers, electricians, joiners, hell in a handcart.
The only salvation is that they cannot read, spend their cash on booze and fags, so do not read T&S and are excluded from this forum.
The working class, eh? Just get on with the work, leave the fishing to us- the elite- know your place.

Apparently they are called "Trout Bums"  :lol:

I'll stop now apologies for thread jacking.

Go To Front Page