News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

UV Resin Yet No Mortgage Required

Started by Wildfisher, January 20, 2014, 04:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Chief

QuoteCan I point out clean the hook eyes before you use the UV light  :o :o

Good advice! pretty much impossible to clean after being zapped with the torch

Tyro

Hi Admin,
Could you put up your links for the resin and the UV torch as there are a few links flying around and I would hate to pick up the wrong ones if I go for them.
Highlander my flytying night school classes guru assures me that the Sally Hansen to use is,
Hard As Nails, clear. Pattern number 2103 232103003. It certainly works and dries very hard. Unfortunately hard to find in shops now. Ebay is the place. Apparently the more recent replacement does not dry to a hard but tacky finish.

Len

Tyro

Thanks Admin. Away to spend more money :D

lochgarryfisher

Just got the Deer Creek UV resin and torch kit from Lathkill for £25, highly recommended!
In the past i have used epoxy for pike fly heads etc but this stuff is amazing, quite runny straight from the bottle so you can manipulate and then sets completely in 3 seconds with the laser pen/torch.
Am a convert.

Wildfisher

Quote from: lochgarryfisher on January 25, 2014, 06:03:03 PM
Am a convert.

As am I.

I have always avoided this stuff because of the ridiculous pricing. It does now seem to be getting a bit more realistic

scobo

My mrs has one of those UV lamps for setting nail polish, it works on the resin too.
It has the advantage that it runs off the mains.
So no batteries needed and it always runs at full power although a torch is easier to work with.
Scott

"Fly fishing is my prozac"

bushy palmer

I looked into one of these systems a few years back as I thought it would be great for tacking on rod rings before whipping instead of faffing about with thin pieces of masking tape with my big clumsy fingers.

Trouble is, I couldn't find any info on removing the stuff if you put it in the wrong place.

Has anyone found the need to remove the resin yet? and if so was it easy enough?

loch coulter

go to uv gel on e bay and get 3 bottles for £6.50. i bought a bottle of top coat uv gel from china last march and i am still using it but i take it the stuff you buy here is just the same + there is a torch+charger+rechargeable battery on e bay for about £11.50 from i think hong kong, will take a couple of weeks to get here but looks the bees knees, if you buy another suitable battery you can have one on charge all the time!

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on January 25, 2014, 09:29:06 AM
It's the most useful item for fly tying I have bought for quite some time. So little is needed the bottle of resin will last a very long time. It sets almost instantly  when exposed to the torch light.

how is everyone getting on with this? i found my bottle of resin has set solid in the last week, despite being kept out of direct sunlight and the lid screwed up properly each time. i've pinged an e-mail to the suppliers, more by way of a query than a complaint, so will let you know what they say. i think i've had it for 2 months or so.
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page