News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tomdoun Hotel

Started by Inchlaggan, April 11, 2013, 12:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

Well, it is official. Tomdoun no more.
The new owner - Richard C Tuxford- and his agents have applied to Highland Council Planning for change of use to a (rather big) Private dwelling.
see-
http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=NJJT0QIH7R000
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Bobfly

Shame that - another location lost.        I stayed at what was once the Loch Maree Hotel not so long ago ..... but we had the old staff chalet that has now been converted to a small bunkhouse.  :roll: :roll:
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Inchlaggan

The application for change of use has now received 68 comments- all against.
It has been an eye-opener to me in how such planning applications are now organised.
In this case there seems to no longer be a requirement to inform neighbours by letter or place a notification in the newspapers. You can go to the Council website and search the applications or set up a tracker that will notify you by email if an application in selected postcode areas is made, otherwise nothing. Even Glengarry Community Council were not informed of the proposal.
There were only 23 days to make a comment, so it could have easily been missed.
Originally the decision was delegated to a planning officer, as a result of the number of comments it has now been referred to the Planning Committee- IMHO better placed to determine the future of the property.
Go."

superscot

Just had a wee read over the objections being sent through to the local council department.

All good constructive comments !

But if the council don't agree to planning permission what then happens to the building !

Left to fall apart or worse one of those strange fires that happen ever so often that burns the place to the ground !

I'm unsure myself on this one, simply if i had that sort of cash to purchase and renovate the existing buildings in to a stunning period house. I would be looking to go ahead with it !

Money talks now a days so will follow this one closely.

Did note that the present owners have already started to knock down the outbuildings and seems reduced the main building to a shell.

As it ever being returned to a working hotel that is very unlikely as the costs to start and run the place would make it highly uneconomical.

Is there a time scale for the decision !   

Inchlaggan

Comments by March 5th, decision by April 9th.
The building has little architectural merit.
Go."

bibio1

It's now the council's responsibility to notify neighbours.

I'm afraid it looks like the start will favour to current owner.

Inchlaggan

It ended yesterday. Despite over 100 objections and only one comment in favour, Highland Council voted to approve the application to convert the hotel to a private house. One Councillor for our ward attended the meeting but was not part of the committee. His blog says a lot about what goes on. http://highlandactivist.tumblr.com/
The matter may well make it into the press, with at least two journalists present and interviewing objectors after the meeting.
Those who attended the meeting came away with the distinct impression that, had the application been rejected, an appeal would have been launched and the council could not afford to defend the case and that this was a factor in approving the application.
Go."

rannoch raider

A great pity ! I sat outside  at the big table outside the front door with a cold pint a few years ago. The view was spectacular. There were a number of fishers in residence and It was just a great place to be chilling out. What a shame it's gone.

Wildfisher

Inevitable, but a real shame nonetheless. The reasons for the demise of highland fishing hotels are no doubt manifold, but some of them may just be lack of money and changing times. You would really have to be nuts to take on such a business and expect to get a competitive return on your investment.

bibio1

Everything is so accessible now. If you wanted to go fishing for a week in Perthshire 40 years ago what we're your options?

Now you can commute that. Even a days fishing north of Inverness is doable.

The hotels that have survived are on the fringe but for how long.

Cheers

Paul

Go To Front Page