News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Islay accomodation

Started by Joakim, May 30, 2016, 07:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joakim

Me and a friend are going to Islay in 2017, because of our love for boat trout and whisky. We will spend a week or two there and are thankful for suggestions on where to stay.

rannoch raider

Hi Joakim, Apart from a few very short stays, my trips to Islay were done in a small motorhome. There are a couple of campsites with shower facilities etc as well as nice hotels and eateries nearby in different parts of the island. I,m sure a search on google will find you loads of B&B's, cottages and caravans to let.

Bobfly

Joakim, I have stayed at this place which is quite OK but not at the luxury end of the market. There is a fine view out of the window and it is a short walk along the street in Bowmore to the main whisky shop where you can spend more that £1,000 on some of the bottles for sale. It is very central for getting about on the island.
http://www.statham.org.uk/islay/tnm.html
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Highlander

I stayed here in Port Ellen & it was a first class B& B. Handy for the OA peninsular & it numerous lochs. Port Ellen Angling Club but watch out for the bearded chappie in the Spar shop where you get the permit which incidentally covers all their waters, tried to shaft me for an extra few quid by charging me for 5 day tickets instead of the weekly one which was way cheaper. Loch Kinnabus is their best loch & has a boat if required.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g551853-d658643-Reviews-Oystercatcher_Bed_Breakfast-Port_Ellen_Islay_The_Hebrides_Scotland.html

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Joakim

Quote from: rannoch raider on May 30, 2016, 08:05:59 PM
Hi Joakim, Apart from a few very short stays, my trips to Islay were done in a small motorhome. There are a couple of campsites with shower facilities etc as well as nice hotels and eateries nearby in different parts of the island. I,m sure a search on google will find you loads of B&B's, cottages and caravans to let.

We've done some googling and found some interesting stuff. Thanks for the tip about campsites, might be an option should we want to keep the cost down.

Quote from: Bobfly on May 30, 2016, 10:42:10 PM
Joakim, I have stayed at this place which is quite OK but not at the luxury end of the market. There is a fine view out of the window and it is a short walk along the street in Bowmore to the main whisky shop where you can spend more that £1,000 on some of the bottles for sale. It is very central for getting about on the island.
http://www.statham.org.uk/islay/tnm.html

Thanks Bobfly, I'll check that place out. A £1000-bottle is not likely to be in our budget I'm afraid, but we'll definately leave the place with a good selection. I would guess that two thirds of the time will be spent on the water, and the rest on whisky and culture/scenery. Your description of the the place in the link sounds like what we are after.

Joakim

Quote from: Highlander on May 30, 2016, 11:42:48 PM
I stayed here in Port Ellen & it was a first class B& B. Handy for the OA peninsular & it numerous lochs. Port Ellen Angling Club but watch out for the bearded chappie in the Spar shop where you get the permit which incidently covers all their waters, tried to shaft me for an extra few quid by charging me for 5 day tickets instead of the weekly one which was way cheaper.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g551853-d658643-Reviews-Oystercatcher_Bed_Breakfast-Port_Ellen_Islay_The_Hebrides_Scotland.html

Tight Lines

Thanks for the guidance and the warning. Fooling us clueless swedes shouldn't be that hard I think.  :lol:
I'll check the place and the club out!

Billy

Quote from: Highlander on May 30, 2016, 11:42:48 PM
I stayed here in Port Ellen & it was a first class B& B. Handy for the OA peninsular & it numerous lochs. Port Ellen Angling Club but watch out for the bearded chappie in the Spar shop where you get the permit which incidentally covers all their waters, tried to shaft me for an extra few quid by charging me for 5 day tickets instead of the weekly one which was way cheaper. Loch Kinnabus is their best loch & has a boat if required.

Tight Lines

That sounds like big Ian who fishes with Dod, Billy and Colin from the Port Ellen Club.
Old members of the forum who used to do the Crask end of season stravaig.

Billy

burnie

The wildlife is nearly as good as the whisky, one of my favourite places which I intend to re-visit. I was only sea fishing when I went so can't help with the fly fishing. Will you have a car? if not then as has been said, I would recommend Port Ellen as a centre to be based from, plenty of fine distilleries within staggering distance and the ferry stops there, so it's handy.

bibio1

Islay is great.....when I'm over there is usually 10 of us so probably not the type of accommodation your looking for. Bowmore distillery does flats, which are nice.

Camping on Islay..........I know I'm a softy but weather can be bad and if it's good weather midges can be equally bad. If it's your holiday I'd go for a small cottage. Lots of them for rent.

As for location I'd go for bowmore or bridgend. Closer to the best fishing and close to  a lot of distilleries.

Loch gorm and the puddles to the north of the island are my favorites.

Joakim

Thanks for all the valuable information! There will only be the two of us, and I think we're going to make this as comfortable as we can afford. Leaving tents and tarps in old Sweden.

Go To Front Page