News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

It used to be poison.

Started by dougie333, July 16, 2009, 12:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougie333

Hi out there. Just thought i would tell you all about a little river i now fish. I don't want to name it ,not because i want to keep it all to my small group of friends, but because i have read some members are letting everyone and there dug know about such places and on mass they go.
Anyway up to about 10 years ago this river was poison ,due to the very heavy industry of the area they actually used the river as a sewer, for want of a better word. when Thatcher destroyed this area ,the industry shut, the river slowly began to take back.
About 5 years ago we used to stand on a very busy bridge and watch a shoal of broons all jockeying for position feeding  on top of the water and the bottom. further up stream you put the Polaroid's on and you could easy count a shoal of 20 fish.
So we started to fish it, armed with a 7 foot 4wt of we went, the first fish to be caught was a 6 1/2 pound broon on a gold head PTN yes that's right 6 1/2 pound, now i have fished the upper Clyde all my life and the best i have ever had is 5lb and that took me years, i did not get the 6 1/2 pounder but have come VERY close to it, a friend of a friend has caught a 8lb broon kype jaw and all took a photo and returned it as we do with all the fish we catch. The grayling that come out of here are all amazing too up to 1 1/2lb. we find that fishing the New Zeland  method it a killer 18in tied onto the hook of a size 18 klink works best. night fishing is out of this world too big sedge on and take after take from 6oz to 6lb. runs of 10 feet long 1 to 2 foot wide all hold top broons.
But..... and you knew it was coming, the local "young team" have moved in to some parts ,armed with spinning rods 10lb line a box of maggots  and a couple of bottles of buckfast they have raped some parts of the river, we even caught one nugget cutting the dorsal fin off a broon of about 2lb so he "would know if he caught it again" dont say report him to the ballif as you dont need a permit to fish this water, and anyway who is going to ask a group of lads all drunk and stoned to move on. but apart from that we keep, fishing some of the best sport i hane ever had on a small river , the water is crystal clear now, and if you can get past the shopping trolleys(which we have started to remove) its a great we watter.
Hope i have not bored you to tears ,just thought i would let you all know about my new local river. Cheers  :D

superscot

Well make sure yi enjoy it dougie333  :)

River Chatter

Urban fishing's a compromise for sure. Ignore the debris and the neds if you can and just enjoy the fishing. Strikes me that if Thatcher had known that her attacks on organised labour and the industry that supported it would result in the working classes getting a access to cracking fishing she'd have put a right-handed spanner in the works for sure. What do you mean she's not dead yet? Damn, I never did have any patience!

Wildfisher

Quote from: dougie333 on July 16, 2009, 12:00:03 AM
Hi out there. Just thought i would tell you all about a little river i now fish. I don't want to name it ,not because i want to keep it all to my small group of friends, but because i have read some members are letting everyone and there dug know about such places and on mass they go.

Don't worry, they have been ejected but it pays  to be circumspect anyway. Thanks for posting about your river.

Go To Front Page