News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

the A9 has a new tackle shop.

Started by bibio1, February 09, 2014, 11:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bibio1

On a serious note the burn does look great with crystal clear water.

Part-time

I've not stopped at Bruar for years but I'm certainly going to call in now I know they've a fishing dept - and its managed by a wild fisher :)

So long as the service is good/what I'm after, I'm not fussed whether any shop is considered bargain basement, posh, high-end or whatever. I'll judge on how I'm treated as a customer.

I nearly always have a rod in the car Calum so I'll at least buy a Peter Ross from you to try in the wee burn :)

John

Wildfisher

I've never stopped at The House Of Bruar. When I'm on the hellish A9 my only thought is to get it over with ASAP and get to my destination. It was not always so. Those places are popular with tourists, families out for the day, taking the kids and / or grannie and granda out for a drive. When my kids were small we frequently  stopped off at places like that - Baxters at Fochabers being a favourite. Superb food in the restaurant and not overly expansive. Same idea:  restaurant and various shops full of Pringle golf pullovers,  trinkets,  pottery, cookware etc etc - all attractive to tourists and day trippers with a few quid to spend and time on their hands.   Brodie Castle is another on the same tourist route.  Perhaps when senility finally takes over I'll go back.  I'll maybe end up as the granda who is being taken for a drive. :lol: Until then I'll speed past them to my intended destination. Speed being a relative term on the A9 in that area.

They have their place and serve a demand. In my opinion they are better than the salmon farms, windmills and super pylons that may be a greater threat to their customer base than high  price tags on fly reels.

Otter Spotter

As its 5 mins up the road from my caravan I pop in from time to time. It is exactly what you would expect, high end brands at high end prices. The Fly selection is staggering though!

Fred you mentioned a while back that Anglers Choice on the Kingsway Dundee was closed / to close. I couldnt believe it but its true and now with Gows gone there is not an angling shop in Dundee at all any more. HOB will now be the largest angling outlet north of Stirling!
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Wildfisher

Anglers' Choice has not closed yet Scott, but it is rumoured to be closing. Just they was things go in a changing world I suppose.

Otter Spotter

Quote from: admin on February 10, 2014, 05:13:05 PM
Anglers' Choice has not closed yet Scott, but it is rumoured to be closing. Just they was things go in a changing world I suppose.
Apologies I dont mean to pre-empt its demise, I was told at lunchtime its gone, but by a non-fisherman who passes it on his way into work.
I always found Robbie and Paul to be very welcoming and not half bad at selling either! They did a lot of varieties of live baits as well so for the non fly fisherman itsa loss too.
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

bibio1

This thread has been a good wee advert for house of braur.

corsican dave

as i said, i popped in on my way back from perth today. no Calum (he was out fishing :D), but a very friendly reception from the other three guys (they weren't aware of the topic on here, incidentally). obviously all very keen fishermen: simon used to run the small tackle shop in pitlochry and one of the other guys (sorry i'm crap with names on first meetings)grew up a few miles from me in buckinghamshire and so we had plenty of gravel pit and canal fishing in common. so there's a wealth of experience there.

for anyone who hasn't been in recently or at all; please do. i think you'll be pleasantly surprised, especially at how it's improved over the last 6 months. there's no bottom end stuff; why should they? there's plenty of other folk like the supermarkets selling crap and if you're a true enthusiast, there's no fun or satisfaction in selling rubbish. but there's good gear across the price range along with the truly aspirational stuff. i would take a youngster here to be kitted out and expect to get change from £100 for rod, reel, line and a few fleas. it'd be a close thing, but you could do it....

having just splashed out on a new kayak i wasn't in a position to part with any money this time,  but i'm sure i will again at some point!

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Quote from: Otter Spotter on February 10, 2014, 05:22:47 PM
I always found Robbie and Paul to be very welcoming and not half bad at selling either!
I bought a 2 weight rod there a week or two ago. The guy who served me, eastern European I think was very pleasant, certainly knew about fly fishing and knew exactly what I wanted the light rod for.

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on February 10, 2014, 03:48:21 PM
I've never stopped at The House Of Bruar. When I'm on the hellish A9 my only thought is to get it over with ASAP and get to my destination. 

i should've added that "let's stop off at the house of bruar" is no longer a phrase to strike fear into the heart of a driver on the A9  :8).
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page