News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The Fish Don Revolution Has Begun

Started by Wildfisher, June 30, 2010, 10:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I can?t pretend I have ever really been a fan of the ?fish pal? web site  concept  of promoting and selling  fishing believing that, by the necessity of having  extra middle men to pay,  it probably  pushes up permit  prices and  perhaps even adds to  pressure  on already hard pressed wild fisheries.  As far as Fish Don goes, in its early days,  it may even have  knocked a few local noses  out of joint.

It never really seemed to take off.

Fish Don seldom if ever seemed to  be updated and was frankly a bit of an embarrassment to some of  us locals here on Donside when  we browsed  active and dynamic sites like Fish Tweed, Fish Tay or Fish Dee.

Regardless of whether you approve of such sites or not, if  they are going to be there the  information really should, at the very least,  be current and useful.

The good news is things have now  started to change.

Former River Don Trust Chairman Dave Gordon (our own driverdave) has grabbed the bull by the horns (or maybe even  the web site by the URLs)   and aims to make Fish Don functional and useful.

While some may talk a good game, Dave typically plays fast and hard. Don?t get in his way!

Within  a week of Dave taking over up to date reports have started to appear,  fishing prospects are being updated and new beats have been added. Things are,  at long  last,  looking up for Fish Don.

Take a look.

http://www.fishpal.com/Scotland/Don/index.asp?dom=Don

If you have any information that might be useful to Dave you can contact him on:

reports@riverdon.org.uk

Reports or any information  can be general (in fact they really are best to be)  and take account of conservation concerns.

Good luck with this  project Dave, where do you get the energy?!!!

Wildfisher

I granted Dave permission  to use  some of our forum photos on Fish Don.

There are now a few ugly mugs decorating the rejuvenated site.

Incidentally, I hear on the local grapevine that some believed I  had taken over the running of Fish Don and there was great wailing and gnashing of teeth...............   :roflmao   as if I would have time for that when already  running the best, busiest, most elitist and desirable  Scottish based web forum.   :D

Honestly, what a bunch!   :roll:

Wildfisher

Mark came out of it rather well I thought and  the Sage bunnet makes a refreshing  change from the more usual Orvis livery.  :D

Luckily you can only see the back of Alex's heid.  :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: buzz on July 09, 2010, 09:05:49 PM
albeit i don't remember holding a fish nor wearing a baseball cap.

That's because I photo-shopped them in.

Wildfisher

I just noticed Alex is wearing a Guideline jaikit.   :shock:

There is just too much subliminal advertising goes on these days.  :lol:

Wildfisher

An update:

I don?t know  how many of you have been following the progress of Fish Don since Dave Gordon took it  by the scruff of the neck and gave it a much needed shake!

Progress has been excellent with regular reports and updates. Fish Don is now, at last, a dynamic and useful resource and not an embarrassment to the North East Angling community.

The Don needs people like Dave who actually get out there and play a hard game rather than just talk about it from the terraces.

While we are at it, a very hearty thank you to the members of this, The Wild Fishing Forum,  who actively helped raise funds for the River Don Trust and   paid  for the underwater video  camera that is now being used to help the Trust undertake various essential projects on the river.

Well  done guys, yes we are the only forum that actively supports the River Don Trust by real action and not just empty words, but more than that it says much about  the hard work and generosity of those who tied the flies, supplied the tackle and placed the bids.

You are a credit  to both our forum and to Scottish Wild Fishing; we lead and others follow!   :8)

Go To Front Page