News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Dapping, but different!

Started by alancrob, February 07, 2010, 08:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alancrob

scotty9

Tweed

Aye, really enjoyed that.  It's a fair catch he's managed as well.

Harpo

I remember seeing that when it wa son tv, amazing
Can't believe somebody thought one day...hmm I wonder what would happen if I used this spider's web for bait

Black-Don

The video is totally incredible. It must be really difficult to keep the kite at the right height with no weight on it.

I know they use kites for trolling and for getting lures out beyond surf. I wonder if it would really work for dapping ?

scotty9

Quote from: Element on February 14, 2010, 12:20:07 PM
I have GOT to have a go at that !!! Just amazing. I suppose though it is an ideal situation down there in NZ where they have perfect conditions for that kind of 'fishing' but it ought to work well for species like Bass here on a nice surf beach with an offshore wind.
Dapping - I think you'd have to have a really fine tuned system but I can't see how you could ensure the fly would hover on the surface of the water; unless you allowed it to be close to the 'float weight'...? Fun trying though...

E.

Just a crazy thought... a couple split shot just to provide a tiny bit of weight to keep the line down at the water. Then have a dropper a couple feet above with a length of line to the fly. If the kite flies there must be wind and the wind should blow the fly around?

I imagine damned hard to get it to work but maybe a possibility?

Black-Don

Quote from: wildhibroon on February 14, 2010, 09:59:17 PM
I remember reading that skilled dappers with standard equipment can make a dapping fly ROLL on its hackle-points.

Do you mean that the fly kind of bounces off the water ?

scotty9

Quote from: Ardbeg on February 15, 2010, 02:07:10 AM
Big bushy flee with a weighted nymph on the dropper :8) especially when it's strong and gusty.  A dapping wind is ideally constant, the previous method is a fix.

My days of dapping involve trying the damndest to keep the flee off the water but as near as you can to touching the surface.
Sometimes, you just know you're doing it right and the troot start to oblige.  On its day I can't think of a better or more satisfynig method of catching and turning troot, it is such a visual treat.

Ardbeg

That makes infinitely more sense  :lol:

Sounds really like something I should try! Sounds excellent.

Go To Front Page