News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Lochs after persistent heavy rain?

Started by fishindaft, August 08, 2011, 12:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishindaft

I'm fishing in Assynt this weekend for the first time and after reading Daves post about fishing rivers like flowing hot chocolate does anybody think heavy rain can impact on the quality of fishing in our lochs. And if so what flies/tactics would you use when fishing after prolonged heavy rain like the forecast for this week ?

John

Guddler

Quote from: Steve on August 08, 2011, 09:04:10 PM
I seldom have any sport on a loch where rain has raised the water level by more than an inch or two, but maybe that's just me
Steve

That's been my experience too, hard going to interest a fish in taking the fly.

Part-time

On my best day on an Assynt loch last season it rained heavily all day. Despite the heavy rain I still got most fish on the surface (DHE, DHS, CDC/Elk). Fishing the burns themselves is supposed to be pretty good in that area if you can catch them at the right height.

John     

deergravy

Bob Wyatt did a fine, fascinating article about this some time ago in FF&FT, based, in large part, on his experiences fishing Assynt over several years.
He found that rivers which normally contain only small fish would recieve an influx of big fish making their way up from lochs during a spate.
As the water receded, the big ones would drop back down to the sanctuary of the loch.

davefromtheattic

That's in Trout Hunting as well, isn't it?

davefromtheattic

Good show braving the elements on Wed, PA. I was delivering the mail in it, letters disintegrating all over the shop. I find the same with any jacket I've tried.

ibm59

fishindaft

Weather forecast looking not to bad for the wknd now so hopefully the father in laws dodgy hip holds up and we can catch a few troot.

Wildfisher

Quote from: deergravy on August 11, 2011, 08:51:19 PM
Bob Wyatt did a fine, fascinating article about this some time ago in FF&FT, based, in large part, on his experiences fishing Assynt over several years.

Didn't Allan Liddle claim that fishing for bigger trout running out of lochs into burns during high water was his idea or did he lift it from Bob?  :?

Malcolm

:shock:"Bob Wyatt And Alan Liddle rediscover Auld Boab's secret habits of trout in high water" Must have been for an article in T&S or Trout fisherman. I've heard about regurgitating common knowledge but that really takes the biscuit, please tell me they were advising newcomers to the sport!   
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page