News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Lochs after persistent heavy rain?

Started by fishindaft, August 08, 2011, 12:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Certainly nothing new Malcolm, but to be fair Bob Wyatt has a pleasant and  easy to read style and did mostly write with insight and originality. He was a big loss to FF&FT. 

deergravy

Quote from: Malcolm on August 12, 2011, 09:30:15 PM
I've heard about regurgitating common knowledge but that really takes the biscuit, please tell me they were advising newcomers to the sport!   
Well...no.
I don't think the extent to which large, loch fish will migrate up and down inflowing burns is fully understood by most fishermen.

Malcolm

I think I was first told of this when I started fishing and as children we would fish the bottom of the burns in high water.

Interestingly it's not just browns: Arthur Cove wrote about targeting rainbows in the inlet brooks of the English reservoirs for rainbows in the high water - I'm almost sure it's also mentioned in his book - picking up big fish in streams and channels that most people bypass without a second look.

Edward Fahy in Child of the Tides also said that seatrout also would run up non natal rivers in high water but would return to the sea and run their natal rivers when it came to spawning time.

Coincidently about 3 weeks ago I was talking to Hare's Ear (Alex) about a fishing a burn which is the outflow of a famed big fish loch and of the fish which take up residence there when the water is high.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Trout will move anywhere they feel secure that offers them food.  Alex and I have caught big trout in flooded fields in NZ.

Allan Crawford

Ive had success on burns/rivers going into large lochs after heavy rain such that I would consider getting out of the boat to give the burns ago. Another vote for Bobs book !

blueriver

Does anyone know why the big fish ascend the burns during a spate? I recognise the burn mouths would be productive due to the many food items which were being washed down into the loch in a flood but running up them when it's not spawning season. I realise this is an old fred but I'm new to the forum so bear with me if I turn up an occasional oldie  :D

Its Me

its a race to get to the best feeding area so the further up the burn they can get the more feeding there will be.
well thats what i think.

andy

Go To Front Page