News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Places to go near Dundee

Started by Amadan, April 12, 2008, 06:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amadan

Hi all,

I will be doing a days work in Dundee later in the summer and have decided to tack on a weekends fishing (which is why I said yes to the work  :) ).

Anyway, I won't have a car and really want to make sure I don't spend the whole weekend waiting for buses. I could stay outside Dundee for the weekend (may bring the tent). Would really appreciate any tips on where would be good to go. I should say that I'm a bit of  beginner if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Amadain Eile

Amadan

I don't mind too much- I'd prefer not to fish a big loch if possible but other than that...

Wildfisher

Ardbeg's your man for info. from that area.

Amadan

hmm... maybe I'll try getting up to Pitlochry? Loch Bhac looks nice but is stocked :(

i've been up to Rannoch Moor last summer with sandfly and pastcaring (a disastrous river in spate experience washed the whisky away which i believe is somewhere in the fishing reports) and tempted to try there again except the train looks like i need to go in to glasgow first- still would be ok if i stop off there first before heading to Dundee.

greenwell

Bus straight to Meigle, get the day permit then on to the Isla and Dean. Or get the permit in Dundee that way you can get the bus to drop you off at Crathie Bridge, over the Isla, the Dean comes in just above the bridge. Bus will pick you up again at the bridge at hometime.

Greenwell

nant_fisher

I'm moving to Dundee in September for uni so it would be good to know if there are any cheap easy to get to places around Dundee.
Adventure time

alancrob

Nant_fisher

Shame most of your term time will be working close season.

Isla and Dean for trout and later for Grayling as mentioned above, and south to Fife Eden for trout and late/early season salmon and sea-trout. Eden season is 15th Feb to 30th Oct for migratories.

Alan

rabbitangler

Quote from: nant_fisher on April 12, 2008, 09:06:33 PM
I'm moving to Dundee in September for uni so it would be good to know if there are any cheap easy to get to places around Dundee.

Give me a shout when you get here and I'll try to arrange a thank you outing for the castaways articles Robbie. What are you studying??

Peter

Clan Ford

Dundee waters - never fished it but what about the Dighty Burn (the bits that have not been developed)?  I hear that you can also fish for sea trout in the Tay estuary about there.  

Mind I suppose if your making a weekend of it then I suppose Pitlochry and fish the Tummel and Loch Faskally or Dunkeld or Aberfeldy and fish the Tay or Kenmore and fish Loch Tay (bit about it in FFFT this month) or the Tay itself.  There is always Loch Earn but I'm loath to recommend that due to the Ned element or you could fish the River Earn at Crieff or Comrie.  All these spots are a reasonable bus journey from Dundee.  

Robbie,

As your in Dundee over the winter think Grayling - Tay, Isla, Earn.  I'd be happy to take out for a shot on the Earn, if Crieff is not too far to travel.

Norm  

nant_fisher

I'll be studying physics. Five year masters course i think.

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to get in touch with you and it would be great to go on a couple of outings, I've always wanted to fish the Earn after driving past it loads of times. It looks like a nice river.

Cheers

Robbie
Adventure time

Go To Front Page