News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

wind knots

Started by windknot, September 05, 2009, 01:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

windknot

hi chaps
           what would you sugest as the correct lenght of dropper i generally fish a team of three flies and get problems with wind knots as my name suggests any advice welcome
                                                                               cheers

scotty9

Welcome to the forum!  :D

Are your knots with the droppers or just the main leader? If it's on the main leader it's nothing to do with dropper length.

I used to cast awful tailing loops and got a lot of wind knots. My cause was too much power too early and in too short a stroke. Try using less power and make your actual forward cast longer and smoother. That assumes you have a tailing loop, if not someone that uses droppers will help!  :lol:

windknot

the problem is it just seems to be the droppers that loop over main line is fine

rabbitangler

4 -6" would seem to be average.  :shock: oooooer missus :D

scotty9

Quote from: windknot on September 05, 2009, 01:48:19 AM
the problem is it just seems to be the droppers that loop over main line is fine

If they're just spinning around the line i believe this is just a side effect of droppers. Not much you can do i would have thought. I have a very, very limited experience in using droppers though.

Rabbitangler -  :lol: :lol: :lol:

aweman

Hi wind knot

Pay a visit to the Glasgow Casting Club they will sort out any problems that you have.

Info of meeting place can be found on this forum

haresear

This is an interesting question. It's something that pesters me too from time to time, particularly when casting with weighted nymphs on the dropper. I suspect that it is because I have a tendency to overpower my casts and the weighted fly bounces about on a slack line at the end of my backcast. At least, that is how I imagine it happens.

Thinking about it logically, it seems to me that your problem has to be a casting issue too.
All wind knots are a symptom of tailing loops and all tailing loops result from a concave path of the rod tip during the cast.

The concave path of the rod tip can be caused by a whole range of things. Failing to allow the line to straighten behind before commencing the forward cast, putting the speed in too early in the casting stroke, too short a casting stroke for the length of line in the air... these are all common causes.

Do you have much of a problem with wind knots when using a single fly?

Alex

Protect the edge.

windknot

sorry haresear
                   the only time i use a single fly is when salmon fishing then it would be a spey cast or roll
                  and have never had a wind knot that i can remember pecy little things droppers my droppers are usually about 6 inch i like to change a lot but even after six changes e,g 3 inch i still can get bother with knots

rabbitangler

Could possibly be a nylon problem if they're there on 3" droppers maybe it's too soft, stiffer mono sticks out more? It can happen if your flies are not areodynamic Deer Hair Sedges and big palmers can cause this.

Go To Front Page