News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

A casting puzzle - How would you fish this

Started by Malcolm, October 20, 2009, 12:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

Recently I've been trying to work out a cast for a problem that's been bugging me for years. Here is the problem in a diagram

[attachimg=1]

I have marked a particularly good sea trout lie. However I can only reach it when the water is less than 12 inches above summer low, it's a deep pool. Higher than that and I have to fish from the bank. Here is where the problem starts. There is one place about 70 ft above the lie where it is possible to make some sort of cast although an overhead cast is out of the question because of heavy vegetation. Neither is it possible to do a conventional roll cast because the D loop comes behind you and there is an overhaging tree and heavy bankside vegetation. It's a cast I've never yet managed to make

It is however possible to get a cast at the lie from directly opposite and also possible to drift a fly down onto the lie from upstream of it on the left hand bank (looking downstream).

What I want to do however is to be able to swing the fly across the current from left to right (looking downstream).

How would you approach the problem?

Malcolm

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

Quoteand also possible to drift a fly down onto the lie from upstream of it on the left hand bank (looking downstream).

Why not try that Malcolm, but then throw a big mend over on to the right bank so that your fly swims across the current from left to right. It is about all I can come up with apart from a cast from opposite the lie with a weighted fly stripped past their noses.

Alex
Protect the edge.

rabbitangler

Cast from square & ose an almighty reach casy upstream then let it drift to the lie & tighten the line to allow it to swing???? Worth a try!!!

Malcolm

Quote from: haresear on October 20, 2009, 01:33:59 AM
Why not try that Malcolm, but then throw a big mend over on to the right bank so that your fly swims across the current from left to right. It is about all I can come up with apart from a cast from opposite the lie with a weighted fly stripped past their noses.

Alex

Quote from: rabbitangler on October 20, 2009, 08:46:50 AM
Cast from square & ose an almighty reach casy upstream then let it drift to the lie & tighten the line to allow it to swing???? Worth a try!!!

Good thoughts - I have tried your approach Alex but I cant get it to work correctly

Rabbitangler - "reach cast" - that's yet another cast I'll get Alex, Alan or Scotty to show me one Sunday!
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

QuoteCast from square & use an almighty reach casy upstream then let it drift to the lie & tighten the line to allow it to swing???? Worth a try!!!

Peter, as we are not looking to minimise drag in this instance, but to maximise it, do you reckon this is one situation where we wouldn't return the rod to point across the stream? In other words we should leave the rod pointing upstream after reaching out?

Alex

Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

haresear

I thoght Fred's post was funny, but WHB gave the perfect answer :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alex
Protect the edge.

rabbitangler

The reach would be to allow the fly to drift into position but the rod wouldn't be returned downstream but left at its upstream max then track the fly to the pint where you want it to swing then stop tracking & the fly will swing across the fish....hopefully! The reach is to allow the fly to get under the tree

haresear

Quote from: rabbitangler on October 21, 2009, 06:11:36 PM
The reach would be to allow the fly to drift into position but the rod wouldn't be returned downstream but left at its upstream max then track the fly to the pint where you want it to swing then stop tracking & the fly will swing across the fish....hopefully! The reach is to allow the fly to get under the tree

Aye, that's what I thought you meant. Cheers Peter.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page