News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Single handed speys

Started by Malcolm, December 16, 2010, 10:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

I was reading up about a new line and came across a guy practicing with the Rio i-line. The line head is is a bit short for my taste but this lad is a good caster and better than most of the big names demonstrating on youtube.   A bit repetitive particularly at the beginning as it's a practice session rather than a demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=C4Bg12rzxio#at=188
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Andrew Moray

Hello Malcolm,

When my request on FFF for an OptiStream #4 went unanswered, an WFF forum member recommended asking for the iLine.
I'd never heard of it until then, and I found the same clip.
Apparently it was discounted in a T&S deal a bit back.

I was loaned a Guideline 4Cast to try, very nice match for the short tight roll casts needed on sections of the Gryffe.
Not much info, but, might suit your needs ?
http://www.guideline.no/9SVTFlI56n_d2Z-0ow_j1X9i_lF14lVBt6705hRjK0d.ips?template=engWebshop;pagesize=12

Tony

Malcolm

I've found the line I need now although it isn't sold in the UK. A guy I know let me try the i-line, a couple of switch lines and a Rio Steelhead. The last one is ideal. Great caster, easy to mend and just the right head length. Any one care to recommend a US dealer?

The i-line head is far too short for my needs although it casts like a rocket because of the short heavy head and thin running line. It would be ideal for lochs with high banks where you had to make very long casts. Alternatively where you had to make short accurate casts - just like Tony I think it would be ideal.
To jaw like this

Andrew Moray

Hello Malcolm,

Quote from: Malcolm on December 16, 2010, 05:06:04 PMAny one care to recommend a US dealer?
I've used Fishwest several times with no problem, and a friend likes Leland:
http://www.fishwest.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=flyshop&Product_Code=RI30SHAS&Category_Code=flylines_floating
http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/p/s/viewitem.aspx?pid=LNS-RIO-SASH-000-5W00&retrieve=

r.e. the iLine Malcolm.
Which weight of the iLine did you try, on what rod line weight ?
One reference I saw referred to the 9gm version as a #5, another vehemently disagreed.
Always worth knowing these things, just in case  :D

Thanks
Tony

Malcolm

Hi Tony,

It was the iline 5 used on a 10ft Loomis Mirage #7 weight. I should point out that this is an extremely powerful 7 weight rod. I tested it with lines up to a DT10 through it and it cast a long distance very comfortably.

The Rio iline 5 is for 7 and 8 weights. The Rio Steelhead I used was an #8.  
To jaw like this

Andrew Moray

Hello Malcolm,

Thank you for that.
I assume you mean the iLine 15gm version for the 7/8 ?.

Glad you took the time to post your findings with it, will be keeping an eye out for one now  :D

Tony

Malcolm

Tony - that's the one.

The Steelhead won't do for everyone I suspect but it's ideal for my unorthodox style.. I don't need the line until the new season so as my sons are off mountain biking there I may wait until then. The charges and posting appear fierce!
To jaw like this

scotty9

Quote from: Malcolm on December 17, 2010, 01:44:01 PM
Tony - that's the one.

The Steelhead won't do for everyone I suspect but it's ideal for my unorthodox style.. I don't need the line until the new season so as my sons are off mountain biking there I may wait until then. The charges and posting appear fierce!

If you do need it earlier, I could probably get you one at US prices and cheap postage.... I have lots of friends in America!  :lol:

Alan - Lee Cummings designed the iLine...

Go To Front Page