News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Sweet Corn For Grayling

Started by Wildfisher, November 04, 2006, 01:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

OK, what kind? Tinned, frozen,  fresh, on the cob, off the cob? How many bits to use?

Is it just fished under a float?

Clan Ford

Out of a tin, usually one bit sometimes two, fish under a float (trotting just like maggot or worm).  That's how I do it anyway, seem to work.

haresear

I agree. One piece (from a tin) trotted. Go for the cheap stuff as the knobs are usually smaller and feed the fish less. Avoid Green Giant as the reverse is true.

You can use the frozen stuff, but its a lot softer.

As Fergie says, you can use a bigger hook.

Off the thread here, but I did well over the last 2 seasons using chenille egg patterns off the fly rod. You could trot these too. I fished these with a heavyish dropper to take the egg down and the lightly weighted egg on the point.
Indicator was either a Fish Pimp or a poly yarn shuttlecock.
Protect the edge.

Clan Ford

Heresear,

What colour of egg pattern do you use, I've tried "eggs" a few times but with limited success.  You could probably trot them under a float I'd think.

Norm

haresear

Norm,

Fluoro orange on about a 14. they worked on stretches with salmon and also on stretches without salmon.
Protect the edge.

haresear

Some places have banned it I believe, but others still allow it.

I had a productive day on Loch Rutton for roach a few years ago. I was feeding corn and some of the roach were shitting it out when I was unhooking them, but the corn had been digested in part at least. It was just the husks that were coming out. But then, roach are cyprinids with pharangeal teeth to grind up what they swallow. Grayling dont have these as far as I know, so maybe the corn doesn't get digested.

In most situations I prefer to fish maggots anyway as they won't fill the fish up so easily. 
Protect the edge.

haresear

Quotetrout love it but cant digest it

Isn't that the way it is. We all love the things that are bad for us. Looks like fish are no different. 
Protect the edge.

Pearly Invicta

A ghillie on the Earn told me he had found dead salmon parr stuffed with sweetcorn which had, presumably, blocked the fish's gut.

haresear

Looks like sweetcorn is off the menu then.
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Is the gillie making this assumption about the deadly effect of sweetcorn on salmon based on a scientific sample of one or  are they dying in shoals?  :?

Go To Front Page