News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

New Rod

Started by Noddy, March 09, 2007, 11:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noddy

I started off fly fishing last year with a kit under ?100.  I am now considering buying another rod.  I fish for both broonies and pellet pigs,  so I would like a rod suitable for both.  My first choice at the moment is a 10ft Sharpe's Gordon #7.   But I have read on the web that people believe that this "tip action " rod causes them to lose more fish than they did before with other rods.   Also considering a a Greys GRXi.
I would appreciate any advice on this matter.

Cheers
Jim

Noddy

My mate has the 7#, and loves it.  If you search the web there are a few remarks about tip actioned rods losing fish, and the Sharpes was mentioned.

haresear

Noddy,

Over the years I've used loads of rods. Whether they are tippy or butt actioned doesn't matter at all, from the point of view of playing fish. If the hook is going to pull out a fish it will happen when a certain point of pressure is reached, sooner or later.
Don't get conned by the tackle industry. A new rod is pretty much like a new car, in my view. They take a wee while to get used to and some you like and some you don't. Test drive them first.

I too have the Gordon #7. Nice rod in my opinion, but for an all rounder I'd probably go for a #6 for rainbows and to still get some fun from wild brownies.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Noddy

I have a 9ft 6" Ron Thomson 6-7#, at the moment.  The reel seat is crap, I have damaged the cork handle trying to get the reel in the seat.   

Budget up to ?150.

Cheers

Jim

shanksi

Jim,
I have the Gordon 9'6" 7# if you want to try it sometime to see what you think before buying one.  I use the Bloke XL50 9' 6# more as find it easier to cast with.

shanksi

Noddy

Is there any ebay buffs out there?  There is a Sharpe's Gordon 10ft #7 for sale on Ebay.  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120096036441&rd=1&rd=1
Guy claims the rod is little used and is going back to sea fishing.  Yet he bought flies on ebay last week.  Also one of the bidders is Bulgarian, with no ebay history.  Very sus? Or still a very good deal at under ?60?

Cheers Jim

shanksi

johnr

i have the grxi 10 foot 7/8 3 piece.this is a rod i would recomend 8)

greenwell

Sellers give all kind of reasons for selling but the fact he bought flies recently, even though the reason might be quite genuine, would make me wary, especially  with a neg feedback given such a low count. I use ebay a lot, buying and selling and this sounds like one I would pass over.

Greenwell

just_steven

I got a GRXi 10ft 6/7 weight last season, after a lot of looking about, and its a pleasure to use. Like yourself, I was using a Ron Thomson number, and I was very annoyed when I snapped my GRXi, (I was tipping up the out board and the rod slipped under it :banghead) and I had to use the old rod until I got the replacement section. Its more of a middle/through action rod so is fairley forgiving for the odd dodgy cast. The Sharpes was the other rod I was toying with, but I got a Barrio Mallard Fly line instead, which is magic, especially for the price!

Go To Front Page