News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

river begginer

Started by magic, July 06, 2008, 12:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magic

Iv never fished rivers or small streams before, only my local trout fishery as I'm a Jock in south east England, I'm going up to Scotland in a few weeks and would love some info on how to go about river fishing for small browns

magic

Im going to Airdrie Scotty, to Hillend Loch and the river that runs off it which is the Calder, it runs from the loch in Caldercruix through Plains and Calderbank. It averages about ten to fifteen feet wide and about three to six or ten feet deep in places, its a completely wild brown trout river, I used to fish it as a boy with the worm and have pulled some nice fish off it.

Magic

Fishtales

Wrong Calder Scotty :) This one is the North Calder yours is the South Calder.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

magic

Is it just me, or is it that its only in Scotland that there are free fishing rivers like the Calder, havent came accross anything like that in England

Barker12774

Hi, if you are a stillwater man then it is a completly different ball game fishing on rivers, first thing to do is get yourself some 1-2lb tippet, small flies suitable for the river and a good pair of polaroids 8).

Most importantly though you need to be quiet and sneaky, if you go stomping along the bank or splashing into the river you wont catch much if anything, sneak up to the river and have a look, find a safe place to get down to it and be as quiet as possible, wade in to the river carefully and crouch down if you need to, green clothing also!

Might sound way overboard but if you want to catch fish then you need to act like a commando wannabe :o

alanandtracey

Do you need a license to fish in scotland lochs?

Go To Front Page