News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

getting the fly to the right spot

Started by dseabass, July 07, 2008, 12:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dseabass

ok you have seen a rise , cast to cover it , realise you have overshot and try to stop it going so far ,, i usually try to stop the line shooting with my free hand ,,,,but what happens then is your leader ends up bouncing back an lying in a wee heap, on your main line  ,,,  this can also happen when you dont have enough free running line when you shoot, and it is almost jerked to a stop as it hits the reel ,,,,---does this make any sense ??  it seemed to happen a lot yesterday when out in the boat ,, and the line was under/wrapped round my boot ,,    so just wondered if there was any way to stop this apart from being more careful ,, and using the right amount of power , 
ps i only use a 10 ft leader non tapered with  either one or two flies  ,, never seemed to have it bother me as much fishing from a bank,, and im not in boats that often ,,

haresear

Quoteok you have seen a rise , cast to cover it , realise you have overshot and try to stop it going so far ,, i usually try to stop the line shooting with my free hand ,,,,but what happens then is your leader ends up bouncing back an lying in a wee heap, on your main line

Rather than stop the line suddenly, you could try letting it run through your fingers on the shootp. It also helps your turnover when casting into a wind.

As for getting the line caught on stuff. I'm still doing that too :(

Alex
Protect the edge.

Don

Try this ... Cast short but with power, holding the line with the reel hand, slow the shooting line then release completly when you are nearing the target. The line lands without a ripple due to the slow speed.

haresear

Quotedo a cast to fall short say about a metre behind the trout , this shows you how drag could effect the fly without spooking the trout

That is a useful tip for rivers.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

On the chalkstreams a cast behind the trout with a nymph with a little "plop" often had fish turn round and engulf it!   
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page