News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wyatts new book

Started by garryh, May 02, 2011, 11:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

now available from numerous suppliers on amazon from around £10.50 + postage (against cover price of £16)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Got it on ebay (new hardback) for £14 inc P+P

I am really looking forward to this. Bob is a very different writer.  :D

Wildfisher

Got the book today. It's hard to put it down. Bob is a great writer. 

garryh

got my copy today,superb,one of the few writers around with something different to say.as Fred say's its hard to put down .i can tell already its one i will read again and again.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Wildfisher

After the initial  "surge" I am now working my  way through the book slowly. Rather than read it all in one or two sittings I decided to take it a few paragraphs  at a time and think about what I'd read.

Now to be honest, so far, this book is very similar to Trout Hunting and to many of the articles  and ideas Bob had published in magazines. He appears to have  brought it all together here in a very structured way. It's worth buying for that alone.

The great inspiration I am taking from it is simplicity.  I am inclined to further rationalize  my flies and carry  a greater range of sizes of a fewer patterns.

I have also pretty much decided to stop tying  parachute patterns and Klinkhamers, life is too short, tying them is too tedious. Klinks can be replaced by DHE  / Dirty Duster / Dirty Poly  designs and parachutes by good old fashioned easy to tie collar hackles clipped level underneath.

I want to use flies I can tie in a minute.

Generally, what stands out is the excellent writing style. No bullshit, no ego, no self-flattery, concise and clear. Very easy to read.

OK, that's an interim "review", I'll probably write more later once I have read some more.

Allan Crawford

I have trout hunting (probably should re-read this) and read all his mag articles so not sure if I need the latest book, what the hell put it on the christmas list  :)

Ythanjoe

A book that re- assures me I dont have to find time to tie the fly patterns i' ve no time to tie sounds worth the time out to read .... I' m off to get my copy ordered lets face it the arm chair is still first choice with thr great british weather :roll:

sinbad

Have nt read any of Bob Wyatts books but im going to , which one do i want or is it worth getting them all ? Sb.

deergravy

Have to say, this is a serious addition to fly-fishing literature.
He gets right into the big stuff, why does a fish take our fly, without all the fanciful,or dogmatic guff you see elsewhere.

On the other hand.. if you go to say, South Uist, you'll be waiting a long time before you see a hatch of flies and the chance to imitate them with suggestive emergers.
It's written from a New Zealand perspective, his comments about scottish loch fishing are limited to trout activity v mayfly hatches, so it doesn't really cover the spectrum of that fond area.
He doesn't have much to say about pounding up fish from dour lochs
But I think his approach to this whole business is sound.

Wildfisher

Quote from: deergravy on March 23, 2013, 10:19:22 PM
On the other hand.. if you go to say, South Uist, you'll be waiting a long time before you see a hatch of flies and the chance to imitate them with suggestive emergers.
It's written from a New Zealand perspective, his comments about scottish loch fishing are limited to trout activity v mayfly hatches, so it doesn't really cover the spectrum of that fond area.

Spot on, but   with one disagreement. It's written mainly  from a river fly fisher's  rather than a  New Zealand perspective -   New Zealand is not really a "hatch driven"  fishery - most certainly not anytime I have been  there and Pete Carty says that himself.  I think it's fair to say that the loch only fly fisher may get less out of it than a river man  but that it is still very much worth reading as trout are trout.

Go To Front Page