News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wyatts new book

Started by garryh, May 02, 2011, 11:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinbad

Ah im a scots  hill loch man maybe not the book for me  :? Scots hill loch trout are not NZ river trout

Highlander

Maybe a slight discerning voice but I for one will not be buying it. I was not overly keen on Trout Hunting so I do not see anything much coming from the "new" book other than more of the same. Oh he is a good enough writer I'll grant you that but the few articles I have read in the mags, left me feeling that he did not fully understand our fishing. He certainly did not understand some of our old traditional patterns as the few pictures I have seen of his tyings bore little or no resemblance to what they are supposed to look like.
Seems like some/most of you guys will enjoy & that is fine, but not for me.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Noddy

I've got the book and I am struggling to get into it.  I've not read Trout Hunting so maybe you need to read that first to get into his writing style and way of thinking.

Jim

haresear

I have it on order and will let you know what i think.

What I like about Bob Wyatt is the way he doesn't blithely accept dogma and is brave enough to say so in print..

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on March 24, 2013, 01:10:24 AM
What I like about Bob Wyatt is the way he doesn't blithely accept dogma and is brave enough to say so in print..

Agreed ..............

...... and can I add that Bob does not and never has claimed his flies are anything new. For example the DHE is simply a floating hares ear nymph - his words not mine.  It all depends which way you come at this - as I said above if you are a loch only - or perhaps better - a loch style only man  - you will take  less from it and may well  fish his flies the wrong way.

Bob's writing style and the DVDs of him tying the flies reflect exactly what  the guy is like in real life. If you are a fly fisherman he is a very interesting person to have a few beers with. If you can't then the books and DVDs are a decent substitute.

I'd recommend both. His cut-down tying methods are a breath of fresh air.

garryh

i reckon it could open a few loch fishers eyes too if they have open minds on the subject.wet flies must be the worst immitations of real flies going around and his theory that because of size and movement the fish only sees it as something that may be edible rings true for me.if fish were able to remember flies they would not be fooled by wets .

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Wildfisher

Well I finished this book the other day. In my opinion it's well worth reading, but I am  a fan of authors who demystify / simplify  rather than complicate things. A first class, no bullshit read.

Go To Front Page